What is your choice of power supply/output FET's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To be on a safe side, it's always great to put a new part, with same label as old one, but it's not always possible and there are better parts on market these days. What is your choice of FET's: power supply and outputs? Especially TO-220AB ones.
I am using IRF540, IRF9540 as outputs, and HUF75339P3 for power supply. Seems to be working everywhere. Got an idea from MTX :D

Power supply:
For amps using IRFZ34 and IRFZ46 I use IRFZ44N. The Z46 is rated for slightly more current but has a significantly higher Rdson so the Z44s are likely to run cooler. I've never had a failure of the Z44s when used in place of the Z46s.

For amps using higher current FETs and low value gate resistors (less than ~50 ohms), I use IRF3205s.

For fully encapsulated FETs (like those used in Japanese amps), I use IRFIZ44.

For outputs in relatively new amplifiers, it is generally difficult to improve on the original. The manufacturers often use the highest rated (current rating) for the rail voltage used in the amplifier. For older amplifiers, you may be able to find a better substitute because the technology has advanced from the time that the amp was manufactured.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.