Need Help by alpine 3566

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody, I have a problem with a alpine 3566. It is a 6 chanel amplifier with 4 normal chanel and 2 sub chanel. In the beginning the 2 sub chanel are defekt.
In the power supply there are some 2SD1669 defect and some 1 and 10 Ohm resistors. In the output stage there was a 2SC4387 defect.I change the 2SC4387 with a BD 249C and the 2SA 1672 wih a BD 250C.

Now the problem: If I switch one the amplifier the current rise up to nearly 3 Ampere, and one of the two trafos make a strange noise. If I unsolder the rectifiers in the alpine, the current goes to nearly 2 Amperes and the trafos make no crazy noise. If the rectifiers also connected the current rise up and the noise is back. I have unsolder the transistors from the output stage, but the error is still there.

Have someone an idea or something like that?

Regards Jörg

Do the power supply transistors you replaced get warmer than the ones in the other supply when the amp is making the strange noise?

If you have a scope... While it's making noise, look at the collector waveform on both power supplies to see if there is a difference. Also compare the power supply base waveforms.

Do the outputs in the sub channels get hot/warm?

Is there any noise on the sub channel output?

According to the service manual, idle current is 3.5 amps.

Alpine 3566 little success

Hello Perry,

I have some little success :)
There was a solder joint after I have after-soldered the small Transsitors in the output stage.

The amplifier works now, but I didn´t get a noise out at the speaker terminal.
The current is 3.69 A.
But I have an other problem.
One of the µPC 1270 get very, very hot. It is the IC 606. The IC is in one sub canel. Over 70° and higher. The other µPC1270 are worm not hot. So what can I do?
I download a PDF diagramm from this IC.

Pin 1 und 2 get +28Volt and PIN 9 and 10 get – 28Volt.

Sorry I haven´t got a oscilloscop

Regards Jörg

If you can't find any defective components between the driver IC and the outputs, I'd suggest swapping the two ICs in the sub channels. If the same IC gets hot when it's in the other channel, the IC is likely defective. If the If the other IC gets hot when it's in the channel that was causing the other IC to overheat, you need to find the problem with the components around the IC.

As a side note, those ICs typically have a lot of failing connections. I'd suggest that you resolder all of the connections on all of the driver ICs in all channels.

Alpine 3566

I make a measurment in the two sub channel. In every sub channel there is a µPC 1270.
So I measure the voltage at every PIN.

The good IC:

Pin 1-2: 28 Volt
Pin 3: 22Volt
Pin 4-5: nothing
Pin 6: -26,6 Volt
Pin 7: -1,2 Volt
Pin 8: + 0,5 Volt
Pin 9 -10: -28 Volt
Pin 11 -12: 0 Volt

Mysterios IC

Pin 1-2: 28 Volt
Pin 3: 22Volt
Pin 4-5: nothing
Pin 6-12: -26,6 Volt

Is the IC defekt?
I am afraid to change the IC because I will not destroy more in the amplifier when the IC is defect.

Regards Jörg

Those readings are confusing because with all of the negative drive, the output should be near the negative rail but it doesn't seem to be because the feedback to pin 5 is at zero volts.

Is there any DC voltage on the speaker output terminals of the sub channels of the amp?

Post the voltages for the outputs of the sub channel with the overheating IC.

NPN base:
NPN collector:
NPN emitter:

PNP base:
PNP collector:
PNP emitter:

You said the amp was working. Are you getting any sound out of the two sub channels? If so, does it sound distorted?

Measurment

Hello I made a measurement.
I built in the sub channel BD 249C PNP and BD 250C NPN transistors.

Here are the result

Good Sub Chanel

BD 250C PNP

Basis - 586mV
Kollektor - 28V
Emitter - 5,6mV

BD249C NPN

Basis 527mV
Kollektor +28V
Emitter 0,3mV

Bad chanel with overheating IC

BD 250C PNP

Basis -364mV
Kollektor -28V
Emitter 0V

BD249C

Basis 247mV
Kollektor + 28V
Emitter 0V

I measure the DC Voltage on the chanel. I hope I did it right.
Chanel 6: 11mv
Chanel 5: -12,6mV
chanel 4: 15mV
Chanel 3: -15mV
chanel 2: 15mV
chanel 1: -15mV

Regards Jörg

Measurment alpine 3566

I don´t think so, that there is either a problem with the voltage measurements. I think I have made a correct measurement.

I connected the minus holding wire from the measuring instrument to the minus pol of the boxen terminal at the amplifire.
It was the minuspol from chanel 6.
The plus holding wire from the measuring instrument I put it on the transistors BD 250 and BD 249 Emitter, Kollektor and Base.
I really wonder why the measurment result are so differnet, but this is what I measure.
The resistors for the transistor are 5,6Ohm. That is the value which stands in the connection diagramm for the resistors.
I think the IC 606 is damaged. I will buy a new one and than we will see what happen.

Regards Jörg

In one post, you stated that the voltage on pins 6-12 was -26.6 volts. In another post, you stated that the base voltages of the same channel were less than ±1 volt. There's no way for the 5.6 ohm resistor to survive the 25+ volts across it. This means that one set of measurements was incorrect.

You could be correct. The IC could be defective but I hate to see someone replace a component unless it's actually defective.

Alpine 3566

Hm, yes you are right, but my digital multimeter is not so good, and I measure very quick, so that I didn´t destroy more in the amplifier. So that is the reason why you see a differenz +/- 1Volt.
For my it is the only reason the the IC must be defect. Sorry I am new in this material and my knowledge is not so good as yours. So I have to learn by trying. The knowledge you have I am very very far away :)

Regards Jörg

Measure the resistance between pin 12 of the IC and the base of Q604.

Do the same between pin 11 and the base of Q605.

Make the measurements with no power applied to the amp.

If there is a broken connection between the two points that could explain why there is a 26 volt difference between the two points and the resistors are intact.

Alpine 3566

I did it and the digital multimeter says 0.00 Ohm. So there is a connection from pin 12 and pin 11. But it is all the same where I measure. If I measure at Pin 11, I have connection to the base of Q 604 and Q605. The same with pin 12.

I will out solder the IC and make a measure from pin 5 to pin 12 with a multimeter in ohm. If every pin has got 0 Ohm than the IC is really defect. I hope so :)

Regards Jörg

Alpine works now

Hello, at that moment, the alpine 3566 is working now. The were many defects in this amplifier. The last defect was the µPC1270.
Now she is playing and I hope for a long time
special thanks to Perry Babin who helped me to find some mistakes and give me a good way to repair it.

Regards Jörg

Testing Phase

Hello, I have one question to the amplifier. The amplifier is working. When the amplifier starts it has 26°. When he is playing the temperature is rising up to 55°. Is this normal for this alpine amplifier. I tnink that the Radiator box is very hot with 55°, or isn´t it?
The current starts with 3,77A and is now by 4,14A. By the test phase there are only 2 channel working. I start with channel 1 und 2. At this moment channel 3 and 4 are playing.
Has I adjust the current with the potis in the amplifier. Do someone know the quiescent current for one channel?

Regards Jörg

Usually older Alpine car amps have 1 problem. Leaking capacitors. In Alpine amps, the leaking ones are the rail voltage capcitors (both 12V input caps and +/-rail caps).
Replace all of them, the amp will work fine.

One more thing. There alot of small switches in this amp. Spray "contact cleaner" into the switches, and shake it left/right many times to clean the contact.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.