2 Channel Amp problems - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2006, 06:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2 Channel Amp problems

Hi, I have a 2-channel Power Acoustik Amp in my car (310W RMS x2) and its connected to two Infinity Perfect 12" subs (350W RMS each). The problem is that barely any bass comes out of the subs when both channels are turned on. When I unplug one RCA plug (thus disabling a channel), the one sub works fine. Both subs work fine by themselves, but when both are connected to the amp there is problems. The amp should have enough power to work both subs so I don't know whats going on. The amp is 2 ohm impedence, the subs are 4 ohm and are single coil. Is it simply that I don't have a good enough ground connection or something?

I've messed with the low pass filter and the sensitivity control on the amp to no avail. Are there any ideas out there on what is causing the problems?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th July 2006, 11:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It sounds like one speaker is wired out of phase (speaker wires improperly connected for +/- connections). Check the wiring of both speakers, both inside the enclosure and at the amp.

If all else fails, reversing the connections for ONE of the speakers should correct the problem.
Old 13th July 2006, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply, I will try that. If it is out of phase, why does it still work without the other one going? I'm not doubting you, I just don't get it.
Old 13th July 2006, 05:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ocool_15 Send a message via Yahoo to ocool_15
Quote:
Originally posted by wang_chi7
Thanks for the reply, I will try that. If it is out of phase, why does it still work without the other one going? I'm not doubting you, I just don't get it.

One would be playing bass ok but when the second is playing out of phase(reversed polarity) they cancel each other out. This image explains it well enough I think.

Site Referenced-Referring to gemstones

Graphic Link at bottom
Old 14th July 2006, 08:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what the problem was!

Hide this!Advertise here!