JBL BP1200.1 vs GTO1201.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everybody I have an audiobahn 1206q(or t), 2ohms 1100rms, FR: 20-500hz

I was looking at buying a BP1200.1 with subsonic filters or a GTO1201.1. Both run at the same price. Which would be a better buy or which would u recommend? (google for specs on the BP the GTO is on teh JBL website.)

Ive heard of ppl running the 1206 off a BP but not a GTO...

(both have same amp rating: 120A)

PS: no dissing on audiobahn..i really dont wanna hear it. i dont care. I have it in a the recommended ported box, and i am not worried about overpowering it...so dont tell me about that either thanks.

I have the GTO1201.1, and I'm happy with it. It doesn't have a subsonic filter, but looking thru the BP1200 manual, I noticed that the BP doesn't have one either. Judging from the heatsink size, the BP will run hotter than the GTO. I had the GTO pushing ~800 wrms continuously for about half an hour, and it barely got warm (even with its smallish heatsink). Personally, I like the look of the GTO better than the BP.

which would u recommend?
The GTO. Why? Because I have one. :)
The GTO works with a greater signal range (140 mV to 6.1 V) than the BP, but the BP has line level inputs, which the GTO does not have. You could go with either one.

Almost forgot: Audiobahn sucks. :D
Back on topic: The recommended ported box is tuned to 40 hz. If you play 20 hz (or lower) bass, even with 200 watts of power, you will probably bottom out the sub, and possibly damage it. This is where a subsonic filter (35-40 hz) (I mean high pass filter, because 35 hz isn't subsonic) would help out. Just because that box is "recommended by the manufacturer," it doesn't mean that there is no way to damage the sub when it's in that box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.