New to car audio and could use some component/sub suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm pretty well informed in the headphone/home audio world but car audio is new territory for me. I'm putting a new system into my 05 mustang and need some suggestions for speakers/sub. I've got a JL 500/1 amp as well as an Alpine MRV F545 (125 x 4) amp. Those are the only set things in my system as of now, I got good deals on both of them.

I'm looking to spend no more than about 750 on components for my front doors and a sub. From what I've read it seems 2 way is the way to go for my price range but what brand and model is something I'm wide open to suggestions. CDT was about all I knew for high end audio but have read some bad things about them and am leaning towards the SEAS Lotus line at the moment. But like I said I'm new to car audio and am not aware of many higher end manufacturers.

For those of you not familliar with the 05 mustang, there are 8 inch subs in the front doors and a 6 x 8 slot with 6 x 8's in the back for fill. So I was thinking a 2 way component system would repalce the 8 inch subs and the 6 x 8 slots with a sub in the trunk. So any suggestions for good rear fill speakers would be great, I'm thinkin 5 1/4 since I don't like the way the oval shaped 6 x 8's sound compared to circular woofers.

For my sub, I listen to mainly rock, and certainly don't want to overpower my main speakers. I will only be getting one sub, and am debating a 10 or 12 inch. I'm leaning towards 10 as every recording studio I've been in always has 10 inch subs to monitor rock since it reproduces guitar bass much better. That being said I don't really care 10 or 12 as long as it is good sound quality sub. So brand suggestions or models for any of the above spots would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

One last thing, I was thinking to spend about 300 on a cd player, I'm thinking Alpine CDA 9857 but am open to anything that can be had for 300 or less. My main concern is sound quality, could care less about useless functions. If it will play cd's I'm happy.

not that this is the ultimate, but I have a Blaupunkt key largo CD player, 4 x 50watts that I got on ebay several years ago that I'm not using, still in package that I think I'd like to unload. If interested drop me an email. I recall giving about $179 for it,..ouch!! but I thought it was good and what I needed at the time.

Thanks but I think I'm gonna get the Alpine, I like the ipod hookup.

I'm considering the Seas Lotus component set with their 12 inch sub, anyone have any experience with them? It's either that or the Polk sr6500 with an SR series sub. Any comments about either would be great. Thanks.

The Lotus Reference gear is great, and I’ve heard good things about the Performance range, but I’ve not heard it. www.mobilesq.com is their NA distributor. Focal is worth checking out… check Zalytron for really cheap Focal setups; I think you have to assemble the crossovers, but they are cheap. The Polk SR setup uses the Vifa ring tweeter, and looks good on paper, but it’s pricey. If you’re DIY friendly, you could go that route. www.diymobileaudio.com is a good resource there.

I wouldn’t worry much about rear fill. Throw some halfway decent drivers back there and call it a day, or just omit them all together. With them being behind you, and played at low levels, the quality isn’t terribly important, at least to me. If you omit the rear fill, or use the head unit power for it, you could use your Alpine amp with an active crossover, which would make a DIY setup really easy to implement.

Check out the Dayton Reference HO subs at Parts Express. A 10” is about $100, and will work in a small box. I’d have to do the math again, but I think around 0.5 ft^3 sealed will get the Qtc down to 0.7 or so. Should get to 110dB easily, and 20Hz is no problem with all the cabin gain. Your 500/1 will be more than enough power for either a 10” or a 12”. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a sub that measures better without spending a lot of money.

For no-frills CD players, give Nakamichi a look. Eclipse is nice, although the style is a bit much for some. Alpine is also a great company. Just wanted to throw some other ones out there.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've gone ahead and splurged on the Polk sr6500's, I heard them and loved them. I got a lotus 12 inch sub with some 5 x7 Clif design rears with an alpine head unit so hopefully I will have it all up and running. I've heard great things about the lotus sub so hopefully it will prove to be a good choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.