Advice on set up - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2006, 04:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Advice on set up

I need advice on xo slope. Would a 4th order Linkwitz two way work in a truck? Here's what I want to do. The tweeter will be the Vifa XT25SC50-04. Because I want to xo at 2500 hz. I think if I do this xo point i can bring the sound stage up to the dash. The mid woofer ( I think) will be the Vifa P17WJ00. Am I on the right track or do I need to rethink this out? If I'm way off track put me back on and give me push in the right direction. Thanks Tom Daugherty
Old 4th July 2006, 08:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

nice!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th July 2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I think 4th-order LR will work well in this application because it has relatively low lobing, which helps when drivers are not very close together. I assume you're going active?
Old 5th July 2006, 01:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not sure if I'm going active or not yet, I would like to though. It will depend on the cost. Tom Daugherty
Old 6th July 2006, 12:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

if you can post up the impidance curves
maby we can conjer up a great passive network for you

but i can garuntee if you use these they will sound better
Old 6th July 2006, 07:19 AM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

How are you going to design a crossover from imedance curves alone? The acoustic response must be taken into account as well.

Can't say I fancy the job of designing a 4th-order passive crossover. Not to say it can't be done but it takes a lot of work and by the time you are done active would have saved you a lot of time and probably not cost much more, and would slaughter the passive on performance.
Old 6th July 2006, 02:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am leaning towards active. The cost of the parts for passive will be about the same if I use poly caps and perfect lay coils. Tom Daugherty
Old 6th July 2006, 09:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
How are you going to design a crossover from imedance curves
hey, im just saying!!

i am kinda new here i dont know who is who yet , i am just assuming.

didnt sound like he was made up his mind on passive or active in opening statement.

and yeah to awnser your question, you throw me a impidance curve and some parameters to a speaker and with some polys and some brains i can make a passive network that will walk anything sold at circut city. I never said that it will be the very very best design, but i can GEEERUNTEE it will sound good..

And of cource active is better than passive (duh :banghead like we already didnt know that?????? come on....

im just sayin.................

and for anyone elese, if you have a 2way or 3 way or 10way system
and all you have is a 2 channel amp to run it than you will be building a passive network no matter how bad you want to go active you cant with olny 2 channels....
^^( that is what i thought senerio was in opening statement)
Old 6th July 2006, 11:57 PM   #9
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
How are you going to design a crossover from imedance curves alone? The acoustic response must be taken into account as well.
Not to mention the impedance phase plot.

T edward, I have been shopping around lately for car amps and it seems very easy now to locate multi-channel amps with built in active filters. Not too expensive either.
Old 7th July 2006, 04:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I was thinking of doing an elliptic filter to get the tweeter xo'ed at about 2k. That's why I choose the Vifa tweeter (low fs). I'm still compaing prices on the active and passive systems. Tom Daugherty

Hide this!Advertise here!