Advice on set up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need advice on xo slope. Would a 4th order Linkwitz two way work in a truck? Here's what I want to do. The tweeter will be the Vifa XT25SC50-04. Because I want to xo at 2500 hz. I think if I do this xo point i can bring the sound stage up to the dash. The mid woofer ( I think) will be the Vifa P17WJ00. Am I on the right track or do I need to rethink this out? If I'm way off track put me back on and give me push in the right direction. Thanks Tom Daugherty

nice!

xt25sc50.jpg

P17WJ00.jpg

How are you going to design a crossover from imedance curves alone? The acoustic response must be taken into account as well.

Can't say I fancy the job of designing a 4th-order passive crossover. Not to say it can't be done but it takes a lot of work and by the time you are done active would have saved you a lot of time and probably not cost much more, and would slaughter the passive on performance.

richie00boy said:
How are you going to design a crossover from imedance curves

hey, im just saying!!

i am kinda new here i dont know who is who yet , i am just assuming.

didnt sound like he was made up his mind on passive or active in opening statement.

and yeah to awnser your question, you throw me a impidance curve and some parameters to a speaker and with some polys and some brains i can make a passive network that will walk anything sold at circut city. I never said that it will be the very very best design, but i can GEEERUNTEE it will sound good..

And of cource active is better than passive (duh :banghead:) like we already didnt know that?????? come on....

im just sayin.................

and for anyone elese, if you have a 2way or 3 way or 10way system
and all you have is a 2 channel amp to run it than you will be building a passive network no matter how bad you want to go active you cant with olny 2 channels....
^^( that is what i thought senerio was in opening statement)

richie00boy said:
How are you going to design a crossover from imedance curves alone? The acoustic response must be taken into account as well.
Not to mention the impedance phase plot. ;)

T edward, I have been shopping around lately for car amps and it seems very easy now to locate multi-channel amps with built in active filters. Not too expensive either.

I have considered the active set up. It's the cost of the components that is holding me back. For now I want to keep the factory head unit because both of my vehicles were broken into and the stereos stolen.
Now I have a new 06 Tacoma and I don't want it broken into because someone might see a nice unit in there. By keeping the factory head unit there will be no interest.
I was looking at the Audio Control LC6I line converter and the Eclipse EA4000 amp.
The decision is to save a couple more bucks and go active. I know that active is the way to go; my home system is active and you just can't get that sound with passive xo's. Thanks for the help guys. Tom Daugherty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.