HLCD's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2006, 09:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default HLCD's

case i am new to the fourm, i would like to hear what you guys think about HLCD's i have Image Dynamics CD-2comps with full body lens'es and i absoultly love them 100% if i didnt have 30bands of eq i would hate them and probbally be deaf. but thats just me.

Your oppinion good or bad , please
Old 1st July 2006, 09:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

any helpful hints in tuning would be a +
Old 2nd July 2006, 10:15 AM   #3
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I like em, I have had ID CD1e and CD1pros, I'm now running Veritas AW75s and think they are great, I have a nice range of hornbodies and CDs being built up

as for eq, I use a couple of passive notch filters and no other EQ, sounds fine to me and the local EMMA (European iasca) judge.

My advice for tuning would be get yourself a parametric EQ and tune with that, even a cheap older alpine will give good results I find them more pleasing than 30band graphics.
Old 2nd July 2006, 10:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

i have tried using small eq's a long time ago.

i have noticed that if i increase the amp gain to the point of where on the rta the section that needs boost to get to 0db on meter than start turning down eq sliders from high to low so parts on rta that are above
0db on meter. Than i fine tune untill all 30bands on rta are within 1-3db flat. at high levls of pink noise. I think that strong eqing sounds better on horns.

once i have a flat responce i start moving the horn around where i plan on mounting it +/- a inch in or out or angled or whatever. to get good image. than re-eq with pinknoise and start to smooth out the responce on eq and than i usally think it starts to really impress.
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hmm I go the other way, mount them, play with gains and Xovers to get them sounding as good as possible then get the eq out, nice broad notch around 3.6-4kHz to tame their honkyness and then go from there. Always try and cut and not boost whenever possible.

I'm not a fan of heavily EQ systems, IMHO the tonality always suffers.
Old 3rd July 2006, 08:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

sounds like nice agreeable method. i agree 100% about notchfilter @ 3.6Khz +/- a few. that has been a frequiencie i have always just know before i do anything for me it is 31.5Khz but i am cutting with eq and that is all i had. them things will bark at ya unless the 3-4k range is cut way back.

One time i was kinda curious about it i did hook up my computer output's to my home pc, i have creative sound card that has eax in it, if you dont know what eax is ide suggest checking it out for fun. but anyway in soundblaster live there is eax it had a plugin for 3 band parametric and it would let you go up in incriments of 1Hz i was like hmmmmmmm....... what if i hook it up to the horns and find the exact frequncie. so i hooked it up and started i did a 18db cut at 3k and startd up i listend carefully to music and found the horns to sound most natural -18db at 3.6k also. I would be intrested in how your passive noch filter you were sayin about is. Could i have the recipie please.
Old 13th July 2006, 01:19 AM   #7
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/gall...g2_itemId=4170

Heard something like that was a good start

Hide this!Advertise here!