Multiple Amplifiers to a single voice coil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One great thing about this hobby is that we can all do what we want. But, it takes no skill really to assemble a system that is extremely loud and annoying, where on the other hand, achieving mids and highs "to die for" is another matter. But that's just me. To each, his own.

A related story; A 25 year old neighbor of mine has a very nice Pontiac Grand Prix with Audiobahn gear everywhere. You can literally hear him coming from blocks away. He has a pair of 15s in a ported box in the trunk powered by 2000 watts RMS. His front stage is something like 5 1/4" coaxials running off the HU. We were talking one day and he was giving me grief(making fun of) about my set-up, which at the time consisted of 5 Linear Power amps, old school a/d/s px335 components, two 10s in sealed enclosures, providing a very adequate balance of low end. From his perspective, my system was a joke because he had never heard of LP and a/d/s, and compared to his system, there was virtually no SPL. It actually was a very high end system, in terms of SQ. This illustrates how a person's perspective and lack of knowledge can influence a given situation, whether it's putting a system together or critiquing someone else's.

What's cool and what is good sound is not necessarily the same thing.

"Loud" as it were, is also not necessarily the same as clean power.

Now if you aim for clean power and your trunk is rattling all over, you're still not going to have a clean sound.

Clamping down those rattles and insulating against exterior noise can go a very long way towards clean power.

You should maybe ask yourself what the intent of the system is, to sound good or "impress" the neighbours.

If looking cool is your only concern, get yourself a hot girl and forget the system.

rollin24's said:
when i say a rattling trunk, i dont literily mean ure trunk rattling throughtout the time the bass is playin, i try to say that there will be more bass than midrange/treble!

So, I guess I've missed EXACTLY what it is you are wanting from your system.. Is it SQ be damned and give me all the SPL possible, or what? Do you need mids and highs to be audible AT ALL for you to be satisfied?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.