Need Help: RF 500S amp with tonns of DC in output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old Rockford Fosgate Punch 500S 2-channel amp, which I really want to return to life. When I first got it, it had all, except 3 FETS shorted in power suply and outputs. Replaced all of them, now power supply is working :) but output FETS always open, no matter what I tried to do - around 50V in each channel :( It's suspicios, that both channels are showing exact same behavior.
Gate resistors are fine, couple of drivers (I am gonna cry, they are SMD's :bawling: ) were dead, subbed them.
I am desperately need some help here. Thank you!

valterdaw said:
I have an old Rockford Fosgate Punch 500S 2-channel amp, which I really want to return to life. When I first got it, it had all, except 3 FETS shorted in power suply and outputs. Replaced all of them, now power supply is working :) but output FETS always open, no matter what I tried to do - around 50V in each channel :( It's suspicios, that both channels are showing exact same behavior.
Gate resistors are fine, couple of drivers (I am gonna cry, they are SMD's :bawling: ) were dead, subbed them.
I am desperately need some help here. Thank you!

Sounds suspicious. If both channels are outputing DC, it may be that a OPAMP in the preamp may be bad. A dual channel OP that is used for both channels might do that. I would start there.

Re: Re: Need Help: RF 500S amp with tonns of DC in output

TO-3 said:

Sounds suspicious. If both channels are outputing DC, it may be that a OPAMP in the preamp may be bad. A dual channel OP that is used for both channels might do that. I would start there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try tracing leads and pulling some OP's legs. They are all SMD's :bawling: At least, If everything fails, I can rip out power supply an use it somewhere else :devilr:

Re: Re: Re: Need Help: RF 500S amp with tonns of DC in output

valterdaw said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try tracing leads and pulling some OP's legs. They are all SMD's :bawling: At least, If everything fails, I can rip out power supply an use it somewhere else :devilr:

They are not that bad. Add a little solder and then with a traingular Xacto Knife blade heat the leads up and use the Xacto to carefully pry. I do it all of the time.

If the output has plus OR minus on BOTH channels, it's not likely in the preamp section. Rockford inverts the right channel by feeding the signal to the inverting input of the differential amp of the power amplifier section. If a preamp level glitch was sending the same errant signal (i.e. positive OR negative DC) to the amplifier sections, the output on one channel would swing to the positive rail while the other channel would swing to the negative rail.

Are you sure that you have both positive AND negative rail voltage to the outputs?

Are the 20 ohm driver resistors OK?

If any one of the 20 ohm resistors is open, you likely have one or more blown driver transistors.

Fixed! :D You guys are the best!!! And I am still learning. I went through all SMD transistors, found 2 bad ones; one 20 ohm resistor was bad too :eek: (but it looks like new lol). I'll put it in my car tommorow morning, and test it hard on a way to work and back. Thanks a lot!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.