Best Car Audio Audiophile Head Unit You Have Used And Tried

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last year we did best car audio amp with much success. I would like to know what real audiophile grade headunits everyone has tried and used.

Nakamichi
Mac
Denon
Alpine F1 (a bit to much processing for my taste)

It would be grea to hear a world wide opinion as your source is one of the most important things in the system. I understand Panasonic has a tube head unit looks beautiful...any experience.

Clarion DRX9255 is my current unit, virtually identical to a McIntosh MX406 (which is rather nice too).

Clarion DRZ9255 is the new one, good processing and excellent soundquality IMHO

I also have the rockford RF8250 which is basically a Denon A1 or R1 (can't remember which). that is rather a nice unit but very shiny (my first one got stolen :()

tf1216 said:
If you have some time read through this thread.

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=121657

I own a P9 combo and I love it!

To find the best units look to Japan. They have even more refined Pioneer, Denon, and Eclipse units that are not sold here.

Who ever did that write up was an idiot :D

Anyways after doing the showdown, no questions asked the Mac mx4000 and mx5000 are the best I've ever heard and owned...

ocaukrell said:
Nakamichi tp1200.

Once you have heard one of these NOTHING will ever be the same.
The frequency response the seperation the noise floor, it just obliterates anything else that I have ever touched.

YUP! i am a big fan of the older NAK TD-500/700/800 series as well. There is a newer TD-1000 that adds CD changer controls. always wanted one of those.

I currently use Nak TD-45Z decks and realy love them. there one maybe two notches down from the other TD series as they use a digital controller IC rather then discrete stages but none of that BS you see now days with swimming Dolphin displays, motorized pop up bs, etc.

The Nak decks are so far above everything else there really is no competition in my opinion.

But of interesting note. about a year or two ago i purchased the remaining assets of a local audio store. in the back room there was a stack of about 100 car stereos of all different brands. we went throguh and tested all of them to find out what worked and what didnt. and every time i hooked up a Pioneer, my partner from across the room would yell out "Thats a Pioneer isnt it?".
The sound quality difference was drastic. the Sony/Aiwa decks sounded the worst, kenwoods right behind them, clarions just ahead. but the pioneers really sound much better every time. I would never have thought there was THAT much difference.

Maybe is was just that the Pioneers FM section is that much better? the first test was always power up, dial in a FM station. then test other functions. But the second that FM came over the speakers. my partner would yell out.

Zc

Nakamichi

I have too heard the Nak tape decks and it is amazing. when you hear a real good analog piece and listen to the same digital counterpart you can actually say with confidence that analog can be as good ro even better at times. Mind you it costs about fourtimes the price to get a good analog set up vs. the digital domain.

I too have heard of some real exotic offerings in Japan. I am very curious about the Panasonic tube head unit, too bad it doesn't include a true Burr Brown.

Has anyone compared the NAK vs. MAC ?

Thanks guys please keep posting this is very helpful, I find this is the best site for Car Audio out there, no BS just real honesty!

Celestra-Rules,

I too love this site but for true car audio knowledge try

www.diymobileaudio.com
www.elitecaraudio.com
www.carsound.com

diymobileaudio (DIYMA) is great for knowledge about setups and specific drivers.

elitecaraudio (ECA) is great for all sorts of knowledge whether it be technical or about commercial product.

carsound is great for talking with experienced competitors of all different types of class.

These comments are only my opinion but if you are interested I think you should check out the websites.

THANK YOU

Hi I have been to the other sites except diymobile the elite forum is real annoying. I can tell most of the guys are on there just to be part of something. You can tell most of them do not have a clue in regrds to equipment they have actually tried or have pretended to try.

My biggest issue with some forums is that people are there to prevent buyers remorse for products they currently own.

I have found this to be a very nice site with nice balance. I will keep checking the other sites though and thank you!!!

Do you have a preference on head units? Could you list your top three that you have actually tried though.:cool:

I have only owned three hean units myself.

First I owned an older Pioneer unit. When I purchased it I simply looked for the cheapest Pioneer unit with 4-channels of 45W of power. Very reliable unit and worked for me at the time.

After graduating college I think I may have been the first to buy the Eclipse CD8454. I used it with some CDT Eurosports run passively. I hated the whole setup.

I then upgraded to a full DIY install with the P9 combo. I always loved the adjustability and functionality of the P9 but I wasn't impressed with the sound at first.

I then met someone who knows how to tune and he helped me out. Now I love the unit. My only problem is that the DEX-P9 (the head unit) breaks quite often. If you ever buy used be careful!

Re: THANK YOU

Celestra-rules said:
Hi I have been to the other sites except diymobile the elite forum is real annoying. I can tell most of the guys are on there just to be part of something. You can tell most of them do not have a clue in regrds to equipment they have actually tried or have pretended to try.

My biggest issue with some forums is that people are there to prevent buyers remorse for products they currently own.

I have found this to be a very nice site with nice balance. I will keep checking the other sites though and thank you!!!

Do you have a preference on head units? Could you list your top three that you have actually tried though.:cool:

Agreed a 100% and for the past couple of years the site has turned from my favorite forum to a SEAS and DIYMA bandwagon forum with guys who have little exp with audio but are real impressionable and unwilling to think for themselves...

In regards to the Mac vs Nak question...the High end Headunit showdown I did at my house had the Nak CD700 against the Mac Mx4000 and Mx5000 and both macs were leaps and bounds bettter IMO.....

high end HU

Hi,

I try all audiophile HU your listing and i hear Nakamichi CD700 and DENON DCT-1 still the best.
The best one but Expensive is Nakamichi TP1200 but must use with DAC1000 and CDC1000 or MB 1000 cd changer.

For pioneer and ALPINE ,the sound is clean but maybe not my taste because too " digital " :)

Best I've used so far is an Eclipse 8443 (till some low life stole it) yes I know it has a lot of tuning functions built in so doesnt really get classed as Audiophile but one way to look at it is, a HU with built in TA, Graphic and Para crossover, has less chance of coloring the sound compared to a external EQ. Thats how I look at it anyway. I beleive Eclipse units are one of the few on the market that use a glass lens on the laser most use plastic.

www.caraudioaustralia.com <---- very imformative site if you look in the right topics.

Luke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.