Best Car Audio Audiophile Head Unit You Have Used And Tried - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2006, 02:59 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Zero Cool

Thank you that is very interesting back in the early 90s Pioneer made some very nice audiophile quality decks.

I thought the new Kenwoods had Burr Brown dac in them at a relative cheap price too.
Old 23rd June 2006, 03:03 PM   #12
tf1216 is offline tf1216  United States
diyAudio Member

Celestra-Rules,

I too love this site but for true car audio knowledge try

www.diymobileaudio.com
www.elitecaraudio.com
www.carsound.com

diymobileaudio (DIYMA) is great for knowledge about setups and specific drivers.

elitecaraudio (ECA) is great for all sorts of knowledge whether it be technical or about commercial product.

carsound is great for talking with experienced competitors of all different types of class.

These comments are only my opinion but if you are interested I think you should check out the websites.
Old 23rd June 2006, 03:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default THANK YOU

Hi I have been to the other sites except diymobile the elite forum is real annoying. I can tell most of the guys are on there just to be part of something. You can tell most of them do not have a clue in regrds to equipment they have actually tried or have pretended to try.

My biggest issue with some forums is that people are there to prevent buyers remorse for products they currently own.

I have found this to be a very nice site with nice balance. I will keep checking the other sites though and thank you!!!

Do you have a preference on head units? Could you list your top three that you have actually tried though.
Old 23rd June 2006, 03:35 PM   #14
tf1216 is offline tf1216  United States
diyAudio Member

I have only owned three hean units myself.

First I owned an older Pioneer unit. When I purchased it I simply looked for the cheapest Pioneer unit with 4-channels of 45W of power. Very reliable unit and worked for me at the time.

After graduating college I think I may have been the first to buy the Eclipse CD8454. I used it with some CDT Eurosports run passively. I hated the whole setup.

I then upgraded to a full DIY install with the P9 combo. I always loved the adjustability and functionality of the P9 but I wasn't impressed with the sound at first.

I then met someone who knows how to tune and he helped me out. Now I love the unit. My only problem is that the DEX-P9 (the head unit) breaks quite often. If you ever buy used be careful!
Old 23rd June 2006, 08:04 PM   #15
mr-mac is offline mr-mac  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The DEH 77MP has a really good DAC compared to most head units and I am pleased to say no light shows...

It will also read MP3 and WMA CD's... I am really pleased with it...

Always lusted after the Mac head units but never got round to it

John
Old 24th June 2006, 03:19 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to trusound
Default Re: THANK YOU

Quote:
Originally posted by Celestra-rules
Hi I have been to the other sites except diymobile the elite forum is real annoying. I can tell most of the guys are on there just to be part of something. You can tell most of them do not have a clue in regrds to equipment they have actually tried or have pretended to try.

My biggest issue with some forums is that people are there to prevent buyers remorse for products they currently own.

I have found this to be a very nice site with nice balance. I will keep checking the other sites though and thank you!!!

Do you have a preference on head units? Could you list your top three that you have actually tried though.
Agreed a 100% and for the past couple of years the site has turned from my favorite forum to a SEAS and DIYMA bandwagon forum with guys who have little exp with audio but are real impressionable and unwilling to think for themselves...

In regards to the Mac vs Nak question...the High end Headunit showdown I did at my house had the Nak CD700 against the Mac Mx4000 and Mx5000 and both macs were leaps and bounds bettter IMO.....
Old 1st July 2006, 02:07 AM   #17
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

Score one for the old Eclipse that I sent in...better yet, forget about the Eclipse so I can buy more of them.
Old 21st July 2006, 04:01 PM   #18
sma is offline sma  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default high end HU

Hi,

I try all audiophile HU your listing and i hear Nakamichi CD700 and DENON DCT-1 still the best.
The best one but Expensive is Nakamichi TP1200 but must use with DAC1000 and CDC1000 or MB 1000 cd changer.

For pioneer and ALPINE ,the sound is clean but maybe not my taste because too " digital "
Old 24th July 2006, 08:22 AM   #19
Luke352 is offline Luke352  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Luke352
Best I've used so far is an Eclipse 8443 (till some low life stole it) yes I know it has a lot of tuning functions built in so doesnt really get classed as Audiophile but one way to look at it is, a HU with built in TA, Graphic and Para crossover, has less chance of coloring the sound compared to a external EQ. Thats how I look at it anyway. I beleive Eclipse units are one of the few on the market that use a glass lens on the laser most use plastic.

www.caraudioaustralia.com <---- very imformative site if you look in the right topics.

Luke
Old 24th July 2006, 05:18 PM   #20
Jexx is offline Jexx  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jexx
Has anyone heard the Alpine F#1 head units like the CDA-7990?

Hide this!Advertise here!