regulated or unregulated amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anton said:
wich one do you think is the best choice? I have to buy a new amp for my sub and I am thinking that regulated PWM is may be better.

For a sub amp a regulated is a better choice. As the amp requires more current, the voltage will drop. With a regulated amp a lower input voltage will not affect the output power. An unregulated amp is better for mids and highs because they do not demand as much power and they ultimately have more headroom.

I am a regulated guy myself.

I always thought unregulated was the way to go but for the true audio nut you get all the juice you need all the time. To3 wouldn't you agree though that you want as much of your headroom and impact up front?

You know I really think it depends on what kind of a system you want. I am all about accuracy in the mids and highs with only support for the bottom end.

I guess if you went for SPL or more of a boom boom system then To3 you hit the nail on the head.

Re: I am a regulated guy myself.

Celestra-rules said:
I always thought unregulated was the way to go but for the true audio nut you get all the juice you need all the time. To3 wouldn't you agree though that you want as much of your headroom and impact up front?

You know I really think it depends on what kind of a system you want. I am all about accuracy in the mids and highs with only support for the bottom end.

I guess if you went for SPL or more of a boom boom system then To3 you hit the nail on the head.

Of course, unregulated is the way to go if you have a solid voltage source. If you can maintain a solid voltage at 14V or more, you will have a nice system. Because lower frequencies demand a lot more from your amplifier, it needs to pull more current to maintain the same power at the output. Because the amp pulls more current the voltage will start to dip. A regulated amplifier will compensate by pulling more current to maintain the same output. An unregulated amp, will of course, have much more headroom with more voltage. But headroom is proportional to input voltage. As an example, the Phaze Audio TD 1500 are 150W x 2 @ 12V and around 225W x 2 @14.4V.

Wow those specs are a sign of a well built power supply.

I personally love regulated but maybe that is due to the fact that I like to listen at reasonable levels and I have not upgraded my power supply. My amp really can eat up current real real quick and without remorse a definite negative for regulated. But you get allyour power all the time.

uhhhhhh, ive had many regulated designs that were def sharp and dynamic ! some of them are ppi pro art series - harman kardon tc series -and adcom wich is reg. in -unreg. out .the unreg. designs ive had -pg ms and us amps were great amps - but i would not say better sounding than the others ive used in the same application.but the real q here is not if there is sound quality gain, but how much current you can draw till voltage drops to take advantage of the design.

ok i retract what i said, there is a lot of great prouduct out there
regulated and un-regulated. I accually have had great luck with bolth in spl and sq. so i guess my personal prefrance would be un regulated
just cause it makes more sence to me to get more power and headroom just by uping the voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.