What to do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got '06 Tacoma the other day and I have a few questions about the head unit. It has a fader from front to rear that works in the unit but no rear speakers. What gives? The sound is ok but I noticed that after listening for a while about a half hour I want to turn it off and that's not listening to it very loud at all.( Distortion I guess). Would changing out the speakers help this problem? It has a component setup; 5.25" mid/woofer and tweeter in the door. Tom Daugherty

The lack of rear speakers was probably planned, and they didn't want to design a two channel amp for the head unit when it would be cheaper to use an existing four channel output design...

If the sound gets distorted after being on for a while, I would guess it's getting overheated regardless. Is this a stock head unit? It sounds like aftermarket to me...

Typically, door speakers suffer from standing wave issues that affect the midrange, dips ~500hz, peaks ~1khz (exact frequency ranges depending on door depth)

The peak around 1k can be a major cause of listening fatigue, the solution is to apply sound damping material to the door skin and use active (if available) or passive eq to flatten the peak.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.