Looking for 6.5"s and tweets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've really wondered about that combination. I should try it considering the cost. Let me know how it works out. The Dayton woofer needs an xover due to a breakup on the top end. The tweet may not play low enough. Use a steep slope if possible. I was thinking there would be a gap of about 500 in the freq's.

Have fun.

What's wrong with 6 ohm tweeters? And what's wrong with them handling only 15 watts? I did mention possibly adding an amp later on for the mids, and the tweeters would run off the head unit.

Instead of finding expensive tweeters that handle 200 watts, why not upgrade to more efficient tweets and run them off the head unit? I'm not one of those people that would buy speakers because they handle enormous amounts of power. I'm switching over from huge power handling to high(ish) efficiency.

Got my package from PE today, and they shipped the wrong mids. They threw in some 5.25" shielded woofers that are on sale for $6.80.....That's not what I paid for. I'll call them tomorrow morning and find out what they're going to do about this problem.

xplod1236 said:
What's wrong with 6 ohm tweeters? And what's wrong with them handling only 15 watts? I did mention possibly adding an amp later on for the mids, and the tweeters would run off the head unit.

Instead of finding expensive tweeters that handle 200 watts, why not upgrade to more efficient tweets and run them off the head unit? I'm not one of those people that would buy speakers because they handle enormous amounts of power. I'm switching over from huge power handling to high(ish) efficiency.

If you never listen to it loud, then nothing. I guess my idea of what's "loud" is different from yours (along with what's "cheap"). If your headunit is like most, it only puts out 22W RMS @ 4ohm. At 6ohm you're going to get about 16W. And the amp will probably be clipping at that point.

But if you're happy with them, that's what matters. I'm sure they're good, I just don't think they're right for that application and that if you do ever add an amp for the other speakers, the tweets are going to be underpowered.

PE has never messed up any of my orders, so I hope they make things right for you.

I'll see how it all sounds. If it doesn't get loud enough for me, I will upgrade the tweeters, but for now I want to try out what I have.

I called PE this morning, and they're sending out the correct mids today. They're also letting me keep the 5.25s they sent already (290-376 if anybody cares). They said the rs150s and the ones they sent were right next to each other on the shelf, and the person grabbed the wrong ones. This is the first time (for me) that PE screwed up, but they were happy to rectify it.

duffman240 said:
Even at 15 watts, 2 of those tweets can produce over 100db, which will be fine.

You are absolutely right. I installed the tweeters earlier this week, and they are louder than the stock ones I was running. So far, they sound great. The mids will be going in today, so hopefully I'll have some results by tonight.

Out of curiousity, what are you using for a crossover? Let us know how it sounds.

For XO, I'm using my headunit (Alpine cda-9855).

What would be a good XO point and slope for the mids/tweets? The setting I have are 2, 2.5, 3.2, 4, 5 khz and some other ones that will not work due to the resonse of the speakers. Available slopes are from 1st to 4th order.

So far, I've been impressed with the daytons; it's amazing how much bass they put out. They put out a lot more mid-bass than my stock paper coned speakers did. And of course, they sound clean. Even when they're playing all the bass, they get loud with so little power (18 wrms headunit). Currently, I have them band-passed at 63 hz/2nd order and 3.2 khz/4th order, and they don't complain. Lowering the upper XO point to 2.5 khz and 2 khz did not improve the sound in any way, so I'll keep it at 3.2 to match the tweeter XO point.

As for the tweeters, I can't comment yet. Either I was used to a non-flat response from the stock tweets, or I don't have the levels set up properly. For some reason, they don't sound right to me. They are XO'd at 3.2/4th order. I've played around with the eq and XO, but I still don't like their sound. But overall, they sound clean, and get loud enough for my tastes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.