Looking for 6.5"s and tweets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2006, 03:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
Angry Looking for 6.5"s and tweets

My car came with 6.5s in the front doors and tweeters under the windshield. I want to replace the 6.5s with something that will go louder than the stock ones. I like driving down the highway (70-80 mph) with the windows rolled down, and I would like to be able to hear the music over the noise. I have the XO for my current speakers/sub set at 80, but I can tell that the bass is coming from the trunk. So I would like the 6.5s to go down to ~60 hz. Considering all this, the speakers would need quite a bit of xmax to handle the 60 hz bass and high spl. I have an alpine cda9855 headunit with active XO and time correction. This setup is aimed at SQ (no rear speakers to worry about). What would you recommend for the speakers and tweeters? I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible while keeping the quality/sound of the speakers high.
Old 16th June 2006, 05:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What's your speaker depth and budget?
Old 12th September 2006, 07:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry about the delay. Had no time to get some measurements. The max depth is ~2" (measuring from mounting surface to back of magnet). The mounting hole is approximately 5 inches, but I think I can make it a little bit bigger, since I will be using a spacer. The overall diameter of the factory speaker is just under 6.25", so now I'm not sure if they are really 6.5s.

Note: In the picture, the 1.5" mark is where the door is, and the factory spacer is ~5/8" thick.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th September 2006, 09:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Lothar34
1. What's your budget?
2. Getting 60Hz out of the speaker in the door (with no enclosure) is a little optimistic. Down that low it's more likely to just rattle your panels than actually produce sound.
Old 12th September 2006, 11:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't want to spend more than $100 on the pair of 6.5s (or maybe they're 5.25s?). If I can also get tweeters within that price, that would be great.

The 60 hz out of the mids was just an idea. Once I get some new speakers, I will play around with the XO and see if I can go that low.
Old 13th September 2006, 01:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Have you deadned the doors with damping material and sealed all the holes?

If you make a baffle for the speaker out of mdf you gain 3/4 inch.

Take a look at these. Good Xmax high sensitivity and being about 6" you get an easy fit.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-372

I have no firsthand experience with these (yet ) But they get great reviews. I think they'd work well with most tweeters you'd choose and a pair would leave you with plenty in the budget for a decent set of tweets.
Old 13th September 2006, 02:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xplod1236
I don't want to spend more than $100 on the pair of 6.5s (or maybe they're 5.25s?).
Go check on crutchfield.com if you're not sure of the size.
Old 13th September 2006, 03:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Preacher
Have you deadned the doors with damping material and sealed all the holes?
Not yet. No need to worry though. All that was part of my plan.

Quote:
If you make a baffle for the speaker out of mdf you gain 3/4 inch.
I do. There is a catch though. I have a door panel/speaker grille that comes over it, so I can't go too far out with the baffle. I don't want the driver smacking into the grille at high excursions.

Quote:
Take a look at these. Good Xmax high sensitivity and being about 6" you get an easy fit.
I'm starting to like those already. Do you have any links to their reviews? I couldn't find any. What would you recommend for tweeters? My grille opening is 1.25" and the max tweet diameter that will fit onto the grille is ~1.5". In case you haven't figured this out already, I want to mount the tweeters in the factory locations (top of dash, aimed at the windshield).

I checked for the size. Crutchfield says 5.25 and 6.5 will fit. JBL says that the speakers are 6.5s. So the dayton, a 6", should fit.
Old 13th September 2006, 05:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Why not just get a component set?

MB Quart used to make good stuff. I guess they still do:
http://www.millionbuy.com/mbqdsd216.html
Old 14th September 2006, 03:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The one that you linked to, I don't want. The sensitivity is 85 dB/w (or 90 dB/2.5 watts; no idea why they would state the sensitivity at 2.5 watts), which is way too low for my liking. Also, I can't find any specs on the woofer. I also checked out some alpine components, and alpine only gives the t/s for the high-end component sets (read >$400). Nothing for the lower-end ones.

The reason why I don't want a component set is because I can never find any specs for the speakers, and I'm paying for a passive XO even though I will not use it. I can use the money that I'm spending on the XO to buy better drivers.

I think the dayton's will do just fine. All I'm looking for now is suggestions on good-sounding tweeters that will fit the stock grill.

Hide this!Advertise here!