Looking for 6.5"s and tweets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My car came with 6.5s in the front doors and tweeters under the windshield. I want to replace the 6.5s with something that will go louder than the stock ones. I like driving down the highway (70-80 mph) with the windows rolled down, and I would like to be able to hear the music over the noise. I have the XO for my current speakers/sub set at 80, but I can tell that the bass is coming from the trunk. So I would like the 6.5s to go down to ~60 hz. Considering all this, the speakers would need quite a bit of xmax to handle the 60 hz bass and high spl. I have an alpine cda9855 headunit with active XO and time correction. This setup is aimed at SQ (no rear speakers to worry about). What would you recommend for the speakers and tweeters? I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible while keeping the quality/sound of the speakers high.

Sorry about the delay. Had no time to get some measurements. The max depth is ~2" (measuring from mounting surface to back of magnet). The mounting hole is approximately 5 inches, but I think I can make it a little bit bigger, since I will be using a spacer. The overall diameter of the factory speaker is just under 6.25", so now I'm not sure if they are really 6.5s.

Note: In the picture, the 1.5" mark is where the door is, and the factory spacer is ~5/8" thick.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Have you deadned the doors with damping material and sealed all the holes?

If you make a baffle for the speaker out of mdf you gain 3/4 inch.

Take a look at these. Good Xmax high sensitivity and being about 6" you get an easy fit.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-372

I have no firsthand experience with these (yet ;) ) But they get great reviews. I think they'd work well with most tweeters you'd choose and a pair would leave you with plenty in the budget for a decent set of tweets.

Preacher said:
Have you deadned the doors with damping material and sealed all the holes?

Not yet. No need to worry though. All that was part of my plan.

If you make a baffle for the speaker out of mdf you gain 3/4 inch.

I do. There is a catch though. I have a door panel/speaker grille that comes over it, so I can't go too far out with the baffle. I don't want the driver smacking into the grille at high excursions.

Take a look at these. Good Xmax high sensitivity and being about 6" you get an easy fit.

I'm starting to like those already. Do you have any links to their reviews? I couldn't find any. What would you recommend for tweeters? My grille opening is 1.25" and the max tweet diameter that will fit onto the grille is ~1.5". In case you haven't figured this out already, I want to mount the tweeters in the factory locations (top of dash, aimed at the windshield).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I checked for the size. Crutchfield says 5.25 and 6.5 will fit. JBL says that the speakers are 6.5s. So the dayton, a 6", should fit.

Why not just get a component set?

MB Quart used to make good stuff. I guess they still do:
millionbuy_1914_66027008

http://www.millionbuy.com/mbqdsd216.html

The one that you linked to, I don't want. The sensitivity is 85 dB/w (or 90 dB/2.5 watts; no idea why they would state the sensitivity at 2.5 watts), which is way too low for my liking. Also, I can't find any specs on the woofer. I also checked out some alpine components, and alpine only gives the t/s for the high-end component sets (read >$400). Nothing for the lower-end ones.

The reason why I don't want a component set is because I can never find any specs for the speakers, and I'm paying for a passive XO even though I will not use it. I can use the money that I'm spending on the XO to buy better drivers.

I think the dayton's will do just fine. All I'm looking for now is suggestions on good-sounding tweeters that will fit the stock grill.

~1.5 inch max diameter so it will fit in my factory grill (included a pic a few posts back). I'm looking for something that will sound good (sq oriented) and be able to keep up with the daytons. Everything will be powered by a 18 wrms/ch headunit for now, but eventually, I will get an amp for the daytons. I mentioned the active XO in my first post, so you must have missed that.

I don't know which has the best SQ honestly. I know a little of the difference between what mylar, titanium, and silk dome-types sound like (I like silk), but I don't know which is most faithful.

PE doesn't have much in the way of car tweeters. If you're looking for something fairly cheap, you might want to check millionbuy.com:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/millionbuy/car-tweet.htm
or
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=24

Madisound has a pretty big selection too, but it looks like the good ones all start out around $40/pair.

The millionbuy website sucks. They have pyle (of sh*t) horn drivers listed under car audio :confused:. I'm not putting horn loaded tweets into my car :mad:. And what's up with the prices on woofersetc.com? I'm not paying $150+ for a pair of tweets.

Joking aside, I really appreciate your help, but I'm not looking for anything cheap. I'm aiming for great sound quality, and cheap and sq don't go together.

I am having alot of difficulty finding a tweet to match those specs.
since the daytons go to 3k your looking for a tweeter with a fs of .5 times crossover frequency or less but yet very small.

tweeters I can think of with a fs of 1500hz or less are basically 1" to 1 1/8th not leaving much for a faceplate.

The closest comprise I can think of is from parts express 275-030 at a diameter of 1.75" that you could trim if needed. I do have these tweeters on my pc and I am very impressed. If you could go larger I think you could find better drivers.

something like
Parts express MA audio car tweets

may be used but few specs are given and I suspect they are suited to a crossover of at least 3K

I edited out the part about Pyle.
millionbuy is generally a close-out place, and Woofers Etc. keeps most of their stuff right around retail. They have a HUGE selection, but you can find almost all their stuff cheaper at othe places.

You said you wanted to try to get everything for under $100. Those 6"s are $57 for the pair. IMO tweeters under $43/pair are cheap.

Not to say there aren't good ones out there for under $43 a pair, but most of the ones that aren't listed as car tweeters are 8ohm and are too big to fit in that opening.

Soundstream makes good subs. Not sure about their tweeters, but if I was buying a dome tweeter in that price range, this is probably what I'd get:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3207

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.