Can this be done?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would this arrangement cause any problems? Car radio/cassette player and a separate CD player feeding into the same set of speakers. Both units are power up when the ignition is on but only one playing at any one time.

Reason I ask is this arrangment has been working OK for about 6 mths but recently playing a tape and the CD player let out the magic smoke.

I once tried to bridge both channels of a stereo amp by soldering their outputs together. They died before I could even connect a source. I would definately use a line level connect from one component to the main component, or use a buffer amp.

Just guessing, there may have been a tiny DC offset between the channels, but with almost zero resistance between them, they would have passed current until they passed out.

You can use relays to switch between sources. If you use common Bosch relays, you will need to use 1 relay per speaker wire.

Pin 30 - speaker terminal
Pin 87a - the default source unit
Pin 87 - the alternate source unit

85/86 switched power/ground to the relays. You may be able to use the remote turn on of the alternate source to switch the relays but 4 relay coils may burn out the remote driver transistor. You could switch the relays with a toggle switch or use a 5th relay to buffer the remote output of the alternate source.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.