Aperiodic door install questions...help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2006, 12:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aperiodic door install questions...help!

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some info from some of you experienced installers. I have pondered several different ways to get the best sound from my 5.2 door speakers and have finally settled on an aperiodic setup. I will just tell you what I think I know, which probably is not right and then you can strainten me out okay?

I have a coax that needs 232 cubic inches for a .89 qtc. I have somewhere around half of that, I am still making the fiberglass pods so I do not have an exact number yet.

My stock setup had grills that coverd half of the speaker and aimed down at the floor. I am reaiming the drivers to the dome light as I believe this will give me at least somewhat better imaging and sound. As a very rough guess this should get me close to a 30 degree axis on the left and a 15 degree axis on the right and should level the sound somewhat.

The car has a nice basket behind the speaker which I will seal up with the exception of the aperiodic vent. I estimate a 2" vent would be good, I am not really sure though, need your help here.

Next step is tuning. I am not really sure if I should look for a tuning frequency or the flatest impeadence responce, maybe its both, need much help here. Winisd pro shows a fsc of 127 Hz for the .89 qtc sealed, I wonder if that would be a good way to tune it. I also have a laptop and a mike and I could pink noise it or what ever.

I will be deadening the door as much a possible also and I will be crossing over to a single DAYTON QT305-4 12" QUATRO SERIES SUBWOOFER 4 OHM ported as recommended for auto.

Please help, I am a newbie to audio of two weeks dyeing for a quality install.

Hide this!Advertise here!