Why not high compliance subs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2006, 10:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Why not high compliance subs?

Lately I had a try and built a subwoofer for my car.

I used a CHEAP 8" driver with dual voice coils.
Then I powered it with a very small amp... 2x20 watt (no need for SMPS!)

It REALLY shaked the car and make everyone amazed..... you could feel 30 Hz easily and not boomy sound.

the magic? I used an extremely large enclosure, so that efficiency was high at low frequencies.... Alignment was very good and transient respone superb.

Now my question....
I would like not to use my hole trunk as subwoofer.
BUT, if I build a smaller box, the sound gets of course boomy because the driver gets harder to move at all: this is a drawback!
This all happens because the stiffness of suspension adds to the stiffnes of the small air trapped in the enclosure. Efficiency shifts to higher frequencies and we get bad sound.

Do they exist drivers with a very low stiffness so that they can work in very small enclosures while maintining good low end efficiency?

The only one I saw were 20 years old drivers with really soft suspension... I guess they work good there.. but I can't see new drivers (and cheap) similar to these ones!
Why all new drivers are quite stiff?
Old 21st May 2006, 06:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to sr20dem0n
Most modern speakers are built like that. You'd want to look for a speaker with a low Fs (<30) and low Qts (~.4), keep in mind though, if you want a speaker to go low and perform well in a small box, you're going to lose efficiency, bottom line (Hoffman's Iron law, ain't it a bitch?). That means that if you still want it to get loud, you're going to have to feed it a lot of power.

Hide this!Advertise here!