Damaged Kenwood KAC-8401

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a KAC-8401 on ebay for 65$......After I got it hooked up I noticed one of the channels had a static/crackling sound in it. All other channels work fine but the Amplifier A Lch has static and crackling..which when i turn the input sensetivity up the sound gets louder. It also does this when there is no line input. When I do plug in an imput, the music plays normal but this crackle/static stays in the background. I am hopeing someone on here has an idea of how to fix this... Also when the bottem pannel was removed to look at the circuit board i noticed that the copper etching had been burned away in 2 spots close to eachother (but i dont have schematics so i dont know if its supposed to be separated or not) if anyone has a clue how to help me or has a service manual...i can take some pictures of it and email them.

I've seen quite a few amps with similar symptoms. If you see any corrosion near the smaller electrolytic caps, that could be the cause of the static/noise. When the electrolyte from the caps leaks onto the board, it often eats away the copper and it could appear to be a burned area. If that's the case in your amp, you need to clean all of the electrolyte from the board and replace the leaking capacitors. Of course, you'll also need to repair any traces eaten away by the electrolyte.

Here is an area i have found interesting....it makes me wonder how it even turns on.

Attachments

• pict0039.jpg
    pict0039.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 112
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.