Blown Audiobahn AX600 AMP: Repair? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2006, 08:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Blown Audiobahn AX600 AMP: Repair?

I had my AX 600 high current amp tested at a dealer and he said that he thinks the power supply went bad. It is capable of 2400 watts into 1 Ohm.

Anyway, Does anyone know who might be able to fix it? Or what might be the best step to get it fixed?

I am so pissed! LOL

Dominick
Old 26th May 2006, 05:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ive never heard of that model. I did a search on the internet and the only page that came up was your post :P. Anyway, the first thing you might want to do is call Audiobahn and see what their warantee policy is. If its out of warantee you can ask how much it is to have it refurbished or repaired. Sometimes the MFG can have really good flat rate prices on that stuff. Those class D amps are getting REALLY cheap. Another option is to sell it on ebay as broken and buy another audiobahn, or a directed. BTW you aint gonna get 2400 out of any of their amps. Their "2000W" amp has 90Amps of fuse on it. At 13.8V if that amp were JUST about to blow the fuses it would be 13.8x90a = 1170W of power consumption x 85% efficiency = 994W and at that your speaker would probably be playing squarewaves. I hate it when MFGs use "peak" ratings..

-Ken
Old 26th May 2006, 01:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply

I looked at the amp and it is an A2X600HQ high current rack mount amp. It is not class D!

Also, it has 4 40 amp fuses on its rear that add up 120. When it would play, the volt meter usually read 14.1 volts possibly due to it being high current, my farad cap, and having an optima battery in the car. Anyway, it is also capable of being wired down to 1 ohm. That is where they claim to get 2400 watts. I do not know how to do all the math, so, given those new parameters, can you tell me what the amp is trul;y capable of? I am very curious!

Thanks again,
Dominick
Old 26th May 2006, 01:52 PM   #4
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Dominick,
Watts in can never exceed watts out. 85% efficiency is being very kind.

Simple rules you can live by and advertising guys wish were a secret.

-Chris
Old 26th May 2006, 06:50 PM   #5
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

it is capable of 2400 watts for about a milisecond!
that's how they came up with the number
it real world and long time use in less ventilated space more like 240 watts!
Old 27th May 2006, 09:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also, it has 4 40 amp fuses on its rear that add up 120.
Not in Base-10.

Quote:
Watts in can never exceed watts out. 85% efficiency is being very kind.
I thought it was a class D. I've seen some incredible efficiency numbers. THD is another story. The more efficient they make the amp, the less heatsinking they can get away with. Though 85% is probably still too generous. Heck failing on the conservative side and giving the mfg the benefit of the doubt, the numbers still never seem to add up anymore.

Quote:
can you tell me what the amp is trul;y capable of? I am very curious!
Reverse calculating the "possible" wattage based on the fusing won't tell you what the amp CAN deliver continuous. It can only tell you what it CAN'T possibly.

The best way to tell is to benchmark the amp loaded with huge resistors and a sine wave signal source. The supply voltage should simulate actual operating conditions. Something like 13-13.5V, Not 14.4V or 15V like the mfgs like to use. The signal source could be a test CD or a function generator. Turn up the input until the O/P almost clips (goes flat as it hits the rails). An o-scope is handy here. That is your max un-distorted power. Turning it up past this point will deliver more power, but speakers do not like square waves in general.

You can also get a good idea also by measuring the rail voltage and using .707 to calculate RMS values. This assumes the P/S maintains O/P voltage.

When doing calculations like these its important to keep in mind the amps design. An H-bridge class D amp can apply from negative rail to positive rail not just positive rail to signal ground.

Heres your formulas.

Voltage = Current x Resistance (impedance) "ohms law"
Power = Current x Voltage

Solve for curent and merge the 2 formulas.

Current = Voltage / Resistance
Power = Voltage / Resistance X Voltage
P = V^2/R

Lets plug a 4ohm speaker in the wall socket, assuming its impedance IS 4ohms at 60hz..

P = 120V^2/4ohms
P = 14,400/4
P = 3600W

-Ken
Old 27th May 2006, 10:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

P=current x volts

if your amp has 120 Amp fuses
and is powered by 13.8 volts
that is teoretical maximum 1656 Watts (100 % efficiency)
at 85% efficiency it is 1408 Watts

where did you get those 120 volts?
i don't get your explanations
formulas are ok, but what you put in is not!

Old 27th May 2006, 10:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

he got 120 volts from pluggin into a home wall socket. And my car is capable of delivering 14.1 volts continuous. not 13.8, although it is not much different.

Dominick
Old 27th May 2006, 10:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

well, that kind of thinking is completely wrong
car amplifier is powered with 13.8 or whatever 14.1 volts (it drops in peak power without you noticing it unless you have 2400 watts alternator in the car dedicated just for your amp)
these 14 volts are multiplied by switching supply to +/- 50 volts or +/- 70 volts for the amp itself
at these volts, current delivered is adequately smaller!

where would you plug those 120 volts? just curious
Old 30th May 2006, 04:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I dont have an alternator that big, but I do have a dedicated farad cap!

Dominick

Hide this!Advertise here!