Peak current delivery measurements on amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Sirs,

I read, but I cannot remember where, of a new standard procedure for assessing the max peak current delivery of a car audio power amp.
Foolishly I did not save the link, because I think that this is very important datum that can say how anamp can drive demanding loads (i.e. low impedance and sensitivity).
Moreover I think it would be very advisable that the same procedure should be adopted for evaluating any audio power amp.
Anyone has read that article ?

Thank you so much.
Kind regards,

beppe

richie00boy said:
It should be quite easy.
Drive a square wave or impulse into the amp loaded up and compare output vs input.

Dear Sir,

thank you very much for your kind and valuable reply.
As I said, I found very interesting that after having read how is important this value of the "max peak current" available from an amp someone has gone through the hassle to fix a standard procedure of measurements.
But I cannot find the link again.

Thank you very much again.
Kind regards,

beppe

beppe61 said:
At last, and maybe, I have found it:

http://carsound.com/articles/publish/printer_293.shtml

Any opinions ?
It seems quite interesting to me.

Why not use the honest RMS ratings that decent amplifiers have used since before WWII? - why invent another confusing 'standard', no doubt simply because it gives inflated values compared with RMS?.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.