Help designing a new set-up. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2006, 05:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Help designing a new set-up.

I'm pretty new to sound systems in general, I only know a few basics here and there. I'm trying to design a new, hopefully quite loud system for my car and I was looking for some advice/imput and came across this site so I thought I'd give it a try. What I'm looking at so far is a pair of MA Audio MA1800XL subs. They are dual voice coil 18", 800 watt rms, 1600 peak, 2 ohm subs. What I want is to have a pair of them wired in parallel, which will give me a 1 ohm load correct? Now for the amp, I was looking for some advice. I'd prefer to stay with MA Audio but I'm not sure what amp to get. There are two that I was looking at, the first of which is the MA Audio HK1000D Mono amplifier, 1000 watt rms, 1 ohm stable for $180. Would that be enough for the two 18" subs on a 1 ohm load? The other amp I was looking at is the MA Audio HK401SX Mono amplifier, 1800 watt rms, .5 ohm stable for $220. Would that be too much power or would it work quite well? I'm just looking for a bit of advice or help with the situation so I can achieve what I want the first time, rather than having to re-purchase. Thanks in advance,
Dustin
Old 12th May 2006, 07:09 AM   #2
jerishi is offline jerishi  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, (no disrespect here)... but what you're proposing is 'too much fun' ... wit' no basis in reality. The 'specs' you're looking at in car audio can be explained better by others but bottom line is... there's a lot of pure junk... being sold as 'car audio'. My opinion is it's ...sometimes LOUD... but rarely intelligible... or, (in simpler terms) ...is barely 'hi-fidelity'.
Old 12th May 2006, 09:05 AM   #3
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

A 'true' 100W/channel amp, with some reasonable and suitable speakers ought to produce a fairly loud sound from outside the car (competitions notwithstanding).

In my opinion, and since you are new, you might familiarise yourself with the wattages claimed for amps and speakers versus reality. Also, you might accustom yourself with what wattages are needed versus what it is claimed you will need.

For example, many 'standard' car stereos put out 5W or so per channel. Many higher priced headunits put out about 18W/channel (you know, the ones that say they do 45+45). The point is though, that with typical speakers, these really produce enough volume for any 'ordinary' listening.

Oh! BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 12th May 2006, 03:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ok thanks, one quick question about wiring though. If I were to wire (2) 2 ohm subs with dual voicecoils in parallel it would essentially be the same as wiring 4 single voicecoil subs in parallel correct? Yeilding a .5 ohm load? or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks though,
Dustin
Old 12th May 2006, 04:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
Quote:
Originally posted by lndm
Many higher priced headunits put out about 18W/channel (you know, the ones that say they do 45+45). The point is though, that with typical speakers, these really produce enough volume for any 'ordinary' listening.
I'm running an alpine 18 wrms driving 2 stock 6.5s (probably 15 wrms) and it gets loud enough to hurt my ears. And that's with the volume at only 22/35. The music source is a standard CD from the built-in CD player, so the headunit is not getting a boosted external signal to get it that loud.

Quote:
Originally posted by djames03
Ok thanks, one quick question about wiring though. If I were to wire (2) 2 ohm subs with dual voicecoils in parallel it would essentially be the same as wiring 4 single voicecoil subs in parallel correct? Yeilding a .5 ohm load? or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks though,
Dustin
When you say 2 ohm subs, do you mean each coil is 2 ohms or both coils in parallel is 2 ohms?

Wiring four 2-ohm coils (2 DVC subs) in parallel will yield a 0.5 ohm load.
Wiring four 2-ohm coils (4 SVC subs) in parallel will yield a 0.5 ohm load as well.
Wiring four 4-ohm coils (four 4-ohm SVC subs) in parallel will yield a 1 ohm.

I hope I covered what you want, since you didn't specify the impedence of the SVC subs.

Hide this!Advertise here!