13.6->regulated 14v for using PCworks speakers in a car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A guy I know has an older-model car with no CD player and a broken cassette deck, and with the stereo being some bizzare proprietary GM form factor. (It's an oldsmobile.) My suggestion? The decent-sounding and reasonably beefy Cambridge PCworks speaker system.
However, there's a minor snag: The PCworks system uses 14v DC, and cars put out 13.6 volts, without load, if I remember correctly. Should I get a DC-> DC converter, or use it with the unregulated cigarette lighter ouput?

Also, where would you reccomend putting the subwoofer? We're going to velcro the speakers to his dashboard. It looks like it would fit in the area beneath the dashboard and between the seats; but it might work better placed somewhere else.

If the supply input voltage is 14 volts, it would likely be OK being powered by the vehicle charging system. Of course, the system will not have the input circuitry to cancel noise generated due to ground loops. You may be able to solve the problem with a ground loop isolator. If the system is going to be driven by a battery powered device that has no connection to the vehicle ground (like an ipod), the GLI may not be necessary.

You'd have to try the sub in various locations to see what sounds best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.