Alpine 9856 & iPod Connection Errors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alpine 9856 & iPod Connection Errors

Hello car audio folks,

I am looking for a little feedback. I recently purchased the newly released Alpine 9856 HU because I heard about the "Full-Speed iPod connection" and finally thought I'd found my fix for mobile tunes (radio doesn't cut it for me). However, I've been running into what I feel are more than my share of errors and bugs that I wonder if others have experienced.

Almost immediately upon installation, I received the "Error--01" message, which is Alpine's error for connections to the iPod or CD changer (I only have an iPod - brand new 60G video). After turning the HU off and back on, it did connect successfully, but since I have had about 75% successful operation without the dreadful "Error--01".

More recently, I have found a new problem that is my HU seems to be "freezing" (like a computer) when connecting to the iPod. There is no response from the HU controls, other than to show "no Ipod" when I manually disconnect the iPod. Furthermore, when I run through a random series of disconnecting the iPod, restarting the HU, and even power cycling the car, the HU rarely reconnects successfully!

I understand that high tech devices, especially those bridging technologies from multiple manufacturers, may experience more bugs than a trusty cassette deck. However, with a current successfull operation uptime of less than 60%, I'm having my doubts. I'm of course going to look into warranty solutions, and chat with Alpine, I'd like to hear what others have found.

Thank you for reading and possibly responding.

I would talk to Alpine about it, it definitely shouldn't be behaving like that.

I have the older interface (KCA-420i) and it works like a charm (albeit pretty slow). The only problem I have is that sometimes after I turn off the car the ipod stays on and eventually runs dead, of course as soon as you start the car the next time it starts charging the ipod back up so it's really not an issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.