Beginner needs help about Pre-outs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Just joined the forum. I wonder if anyone can help. I suspect this question may be seriously easy though. I know nothing!

I am considering buying a Hyundai Santa Fe (brand new model). The top end apparently comes with an Infiniti hi fi system with 10 speakers, amplifier and subwoofer. Sounds very nice. However, there is no SATNAV. So, I plan to buy something like the new Alpine VRI-W200Ri 2 din system (see link below) http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/cms/index.php?t=361&language=english

Or a Kenwood system: http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=8&k3=57&pr=1924

Both these are brand new models.

Obviously this means replacing the car radio/cd system. I want to know if I can use the Alpine (or Kenwood) system and connect it to the existing amplifier and all the speakers. Sextons in Bristol has told me it is not possible. But the Alpine has 3 pre-outs and I thought that that is what they are for.

Also: just as a matter of interest. Anyone have any idea about whether I can use the existing steering wheel controls? Again Sextons said that this was not possible unless Alpine had specific adaptors. Again I find his hard to believe.

Any help would be most welcome.

if you are ok with the current sound system, integrate some other type of navigation system. aftermarket stereo integration will be a head-ache. If you want to rip out all the speakers, amps, head-unit and start fresh you can, just be prepared !! The problem lies within the capabilities of the prducts, the stereo that comes with a vehicle is designed for that vehicle. the car manufacturers make adding aftermarket products difficult cause it voids the warranty. It is also hard for manufacturers like Alpine to make a product that will fit, wire up, and sound good in any kind of vehicle made.

Where do you get the info that it comes with a 10 speaker standard factory system? All the Hyundai brochures state 7 speakers inc. sub.

What leads you to think there is no Satnav? Hyundai brochures list Satnav and DVD as option.

What makes you think there is an amp seperate from the HU to power the speakers?

If you change to an aftermarket HU you will notice that the dash is molded round the factory system and intergrates with it. This could mean that there isn't a standard double din space in the dash.

Hyundais aren't exactly popular meaning Alpine and Kenwood don't do convertion leads to adapt their HU's Hyundai steering wheel controls or in dash displays.

You do realise that neither of the two models you listed has Satnav, and that Kenwood provides a list of vehicles that suit that unit and the Santa Fe isn't one of them?

Response to Redskin

Thanks for your reply. Also, other replies.

You're right about the infinite. It does not have it, although a London Dealer did originally confirm to me that it does. (all the press report that it does). The SATNAV is SMARTNAV (which I don't want). The DVD is a roof entertainment system.

The space for the existing radio is (but I need to check) slightly larger than double din so a good installer should be able to fabricate a surround (or so they say).

All of which leaves me with a Kenwood, an Alpine or the new Pioneer double din unit which, if it will fit, should connect easily to the speakers (as there is not an Infinite amp). Of course I realise I will lose the stearing wheel controls (although interestingly someone in the technical department at Alpine said they might work with me to develop one if I visited them with the vehicle - I won't hold my breath though).

What was your point about the units not having Satnav? Both the Alpine and the Kenwood can have Satnav as a combined package.

Thanks again for your answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.