Bass shaker report

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just installed the aura bass shakers into my 2002 Toyota Spyder and they are a little less impressive than what I was hoping for. I am glad that they blend in well-but they are not noticable when my sub is on.

Anyway-Are the AURA PRO BASS SHAKERS any better????? They handle a little more power but I dont know if that is good. I am running them stright off of my pioneer head unit---50W.

Any opinions are welcome!

Dominick

Dominick22 said:
I have all 4 headunit outs available since I use the pre-outs for the actual speakers. While I am sure it has been asked...

Can I wire 2 channel together into 1 shaker?
The shakers are rated at 4 ohms and I am running a Pioneer Premier.

Thanks guys,
Dominick

You likely can. pretty much all car amps are intended to be used into 4ohms bridged. A few handle lower impedence bridged. Check the specs on the amp.

Dominick22 said:
I have all 4 headunit outs available since I use the pre-outs for the actual speakers. While I am sure it has been asked...

Can I wire 2 channel together into 1 shaker?
The shakers are rated at 4 ohms and I am running a Pioneer Premier.

Thanks guys,
Dominick

Most likely you cannot. Head units are typically not bridgable. A passive crossover would help because your HU will waste less power sending high frequency sound to the shakers.

Also, installing the shakers is critical. They need to be firmly attached to your seats. I had mine on tight and they could rumble so much it was uncomfortable.

Dan

Aura shakers

Your head unit is incapable of delivering 50 watts of power. At a battery voltage of 14.4v means that the signal can swing each side of 7.2 volts. This is the peak supply. The RMS is 0.7071 of this 5.09v. With some losses in the output stage of at least 0.8 volts this drops to 4.29v. Typically all heads have bridged amps inside so the voltage swing on the speaker out is 4.29v x 2 = 8.58 volts. Square this and divide by 4 (Your spk impedance) and you have a grand total of 18.4 watts of continuous power before clip. Now your battery is unlikely to be at 14.4 volt and typicallt sits in the 13 volt region when fully charged, no lights or air on.
Now the power will be typically 14 watts per channel.

There is no peak power from a head unit as the battery voltage determines this entirely and the battery is NOT going up to 21.6 volts which is the min voltage required for a pair of bridged amps to deliver 50 watts peak.

My company uses tactile transducers, similar to the Aura, for a medical project and also for outdoor spas (www.hotsprings.com) and they demand unclipped clean power for reliability. So we build large class D amplifiers and make sure that we NEVER run the amps near clipping.

We have tried these transducers in the car, and they work well, but do demand lots of power unless you can mount it under your seat

Steve

Relax said:
the inductor will simply not send the high frequencies to the shakers, instead the highs will be wasted as heat, not saving your HU any work.

That is completely wrong. There will be some power lost as heat in the inductors, but this actually gets smaller as frequency increases.

Madisound has some large iron core inductors for sale right now which could work well, especially if you can pair them up with a cap to get a second order passive crossover.

Dan

Sorry, I meant that your HU will still work just as hard since it will be amplifying all frequencies still.

The inductor just stops the highs from going to your bass shakers.

A Passive crossover makes the system less efficient.

The bass shakers will benefit from only producing lower frequencies though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.