OP_AMP...replacement...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a Phoenix Gold QX4150 4 ch. car-amp and this are using the "old" HA4741 op-amp in the input/ filter stage.
The sound from this amp is so and so...:xeye:

Considering the "741-family" not very good for audio-use, I want to replace theese op-amps...

I was thinking about MC33079. I can get theese from SGS-Thomson, and ON-semi, would the manufacturer have an inpact on the sound ?

Is there any other Quad op-amp's available that would be better than the MC33079 ??

Lyra :confused:

Unless the old op-amps have failed, don't look for a significant change in the overall sound of the amp. You may get slightly less noise but there should be no change in sound.

I've used both the MC33079 and the OPA4227. The 4227 has lower noise figures but is not always a good direct replacement due to instability in some circuits. If you don't have an oscilloscope to check for oscillation, I would suggest that you use the 33079.

Don't use the OPA4228 in a buffer or filter circuit. It's a good op-amp but it is not stable in a unity gain circuit.

MC33079 is a quad version of LM833 and it's quite a good low-noise op-amp for its price (it's also available as "LM837").

Anyway, there are thousands of op-amps that will show better specs on paper than a 741. You could even just put a TL074 as well... But, is a change really required?

....required....I don't know...but my thoughts was "no chain is stronger than the weakest link"...and in this equation the 741 is the most likely weak link...

I like the sound of the old 5532...what is the nearest quad-equivalent similar to this ?

Lyra

Hi,

I have 4pcs OPA227 in cermaic socket - have you datasheet for this?

My other question:

I found 2pcs LM833N OPAs in my Philips CD940 CD-player, and I don't know this OPA.
What is the best recommended OPA instead of this LM833N for improvement?

Thx in advance!
cartman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.