Modifing stock head unit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2006, 11:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Modifing stock head unit

Just wondering if anyone knows of a guide somewhere that would help me modify my stock head unit. I want to add line out jacks. I think it would just be a matter of finding the correct solder positions on the board before the signal is amplified.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 7th April 2006, 01:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If the head unit doesn't have preamp level outputs, there may be no suitable signal in the head unit. The output ICs typically have high gain and therefore the signal they receive is typically very low. To drive a typical head unit's power amp IC to full power you only need ~1/2 volt. Although that's enough for some amps, it's marginal for others. You could build a preamp but unless you're using this as a learning tool, it's better to use a line converter.

If you can find the datasheet for the power amplifier IC, it will tell you which pins are the input for the chip.

Bear in mind that one small mistake could be very costly. There are few repair centers for OEM head units and they have no mercy on you if the deck is out of warranty (going into it will void the warranty). Don't try to do this unless you can afford to repair or replace the unit.
Old 7th April 2006, 09:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks for the reply. Sounds like it's going to be too much hassle; pity. Line converter it is.

Hide this!Advertise here!