Help Radio Not Working - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2006, 07:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Angry Help Radio Not Working

Hi all new to this Forum. Just wondering if anyone can help. Bought a new Car Stereo, Pioneer and i got it all working and pumping out wicked sound but the aerial doesn't seem to be working, leaving me with no radio. It is a DEH-P6859MP and i know my car aerial is fine, my question is as i installed it myself the b******s aren'tgiving me a warranty on it, and i want to know how i can fix it myself or should i take it to an Auto electrician????? Any help would be great Thx
DILLIGAF
Old 9th April 2006, 08:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anyone able to help, Please.
Old 9th April 2006, 11:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Did you connect the blue wire for the remote to the power antenna control wire?

If so, is it going to ~12 volts when the head unit is on (check on both CD and radio)?

If not, disconnect the antenna wiring from it and test for 12 volts again. If it's still dead no matter the selected source (radio, CD, aux...) and there is no blown fuse in the remote line (the blue wire), then the head unit is likely damaged.

If there is voltage on the blue wire when the antenna wiring is disconnected, something could be pulling the voltage down. As far as I know, Pioneer head units have no protection for the remote so you have to be very careful when making the connections. I recommend that you install a 1 amp fuse in the remote lead whenever installing a head unit.
Old 10th April 2006, 10:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I dont have the system remote hooked up cause my car doesn't have power aerial, Didn't think it was required for anything. It just doesn't seem to pick up the radio waves. Gonna get a spare aerial from somewhere and just test if it is mine is a gonna, aerial connections in the unit look like they are attached fine so it got me stumped.
Old 10th April 2006, 01:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

ok, was lookin in the manual, it says,

"Connect to an external power amp's system remote control or the cars Auto-antenna relay control terminal (max. 300 mA 12 V DC). If the car features a glass antenna booster power supply terminal."

I don't have either in my car a '97 Ford EL Futura yet so does it need to be hooked up to anything at all.
Old 10th April 2006, 02:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

To check the radio itself, unplug the antenna from the head unit and touch the meter lead of your multimeter to the center terminal of the antenna jack. The meter lead doesn't need to be plugged into the meter. It's simply being used as an antenna. If you make good contact with the center conductor of the head unit's antenna jack and the head unit still has no reception, the head unit is defective.

I'm recommending the meter lead because it will limit the depth to which you can insert the probe. You could use a small screwdriver but that may allow you to insert it too far and make contact with internal components. I wouldn't not recommend that you use a piece of stranded wire because the strands can break off in the head unit.
Old 10th April 2006, 11:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thx for that, no reception at the plug, gonna check it inside the unit soon to see if the break is in the 2 inches of coax between the unit and the plug. Hopefully it easily fixed.

Hide this!Advertise here!