Hatchback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I fire into the side of my Vauxhall Corsa.But can't position it any other way.Mikee55:)

Attachments

• carbacksidebox.jpg
    carbacksidebox.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 221
The hatchback cavity will distort the sound from the subs very badly. Optimum sound-wise sub placement requires custom enclosures shaped to have the drivers and/or the ports radiating directly to the cabin, while preventing sound to enter the hatchback (that requires some air-thight junctions). Bandpass enclosures are very useful to achieve that as the holes for the ports are considrably smaller than the corresponding holes for a direct radiating driver, and ports may extend outside the enclosure as required to get some spacing.

Eva said:
The hatchback cavity will distort the sound from the subs very badly. Optimum sound-wise sub placement requires custom enclosures shaped to have the drivers and/or the ports radiating directly to the cabin, while preventing sound to enter the hatchback (that requires some air-thight junctions). Bandpass enclosures are very useful to achieve that as the holes for the ports are considrably smaller than the corresponding holes for a direct radiating driver, and ports may extend outside the enclosure as required to get some spacing.

a hatch back will not distort the sound if done correctly end of story..

Eva said:
:D:D:D:D

I'm sorry, I thought that was a serious discussion. Go on with the tweeters, the boom boxes, the plastic pieces bending, the hatchback standing waves and the rattlings.

excuse me...just because you can't achieve this only means that your install skills are not up to par...there are plenty of IASCA champion hatchback cars....

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Tell that poster about IASCA $20.000 hatchback arrangements... (I specially like those stupid ones with amplifiers and speakers in the floor... where do they put their shopping bags? :D )

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=891836#post891836

You are clearly out of context. The best thing that normal people with normal budget can do in non-show normal cars (expected to carry grocery's bags :D ) is to avoid completely radiating any sound into the hatchback.

Also, I can tell you that I have been in some European IASCA audio contests and heard some of those full-of-hype show cars... The more fancy they look, the more ugly they sound (everything is intended to advertise manufacturers only, and the judges are local installers that give the best scores to their friends, who enter the contest driving cars prepared by these own installers!!). I hope American IASCA to be better than European, because here it's all a marketing joke at which everybody laughs.

p.s.: If you don't believe me, then figure out why I built that 15V 120A power supply, and what I have been powering with it during which events (it can power two or three show cars full cranked without battery drain if you add two or three 2F capacitors)... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60969

Son, I would tell you how to calculate standing-wave modes of a hatchback and the resonant frequency of the smaller cavities that result when a box is placed in it, but it seems like wasting my time.

As I said, go on with the boom boxes, the tweeters, the rattlings and the hatchback standing waves that produce a nice 100ms buzz-sound tail when you mute your head unit.

For the rest: In case you put something sounding into a hatchback, avoid any parallel surfaces.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.