Pioneer Right/Rear Channel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2006, 08:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer Right/Rear Channel

I got my clio last week, fitted my pioneer 6500r and everything seemed fine. I bought a spare parcel shelf to save cutting into mine which arrived today. I fitted my JBL 6x9s and wired them into the pioneer. The rear right channel is crackling and I know the wiring and speaker is fine as i swithced the rear channels over at the stereo end and the speaker was fine, except the crackling/low output moved to the left speaker. So i'm thinking the rear/right channel is blown, god knows how. Anyway does anyone have any idea how I can go about fixing it? I'm figuring it may be the transistor but not too sure til i whip it open and have a look.
Cheers
Old 7th April 2006, 09:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default UPDATE

I managed to download a service manual for the stereo today and i think the power amp ic may have blown. I've located a replacement (PAL007A) but before I order it I'm hoping someone can advise me on how to identify this as the faulty component. Sound still comes through this channel but it is much quiter than the others. Is it possible for one section of the IC to blow leaving the other 3 in tact? The manual is a pdf file so if someone has some time maybe i could email it and you could have a look through it?
Thanks in advance
Old 8th April 2006, 12:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's very rare for one channel to fail leaving the others in perfect working order. It's possible but rare.

To determine if the problem is the IC or something before the IC, you would need a scope or a signal tracer (something that will allow you to hear the signal on various test points). I've used one of the Radio Shack mini-amplifiers. It's simply a battery powered amplifier with a small speaker. I'm sure that something similar is available from Maplin or a similar dealer. You would use that or a scope to check the level of the signals going into the power amp IC.

Many of the head units use the high side driver in the power amp IC for the remote output. The replacement ICs that I've recieved for the last year or so did not have the HSD output so the remote didn't work as it should. I've tried 3 different distributors and the results were the same. You may want to be sure that the IC is defective before replacing it.
Old 8th April 2006, 02:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

yeah thats why I posted, as aren't 100% sure it is the IC. The stereo didn't come with a remote, although I am considering buying the steering wheel control adapter kit for it. For the mean time I've bought an amp to power the rears from the preouts. If the rear right preout works would that prove it is the ic?
Old 8th April 2006, 05:27 AM   #5
dce is offline dce  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dce
hello

by the way, the PAL007A is now discontinued, it is replaced now
by PAL007B. This is the improved version. I replaced tons of this IC.
I agree with Perry Babin, you need a scope to make certain which components is bad. Its better that way.
I think I have a service manual for this car stereo, but I'm not sure
where did I put it. If you need a service manual let me know.
I will try to look for it.
Old 8th April 2006, 09:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

oh, i managed to find a PAL007A for $9. But yeah I do have a service manual, its a pdf document I downloaded yesterday. I haven't got access to a scope but may be able to get my hands on radio shack that was mentioned. I would assume that the pre-out is the final point of the signal before it is sent to the preout? I,ve looked at the service manual and shows different voltages at various points around the circuit. Would I be able to isolate the faulty component by checking the voltages are as they should be at the relevent points?
thanks
Old 8th April 2006, 12:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

leekirlew:
Please email me the service manual at:
babin_perry@yahoo.com

dce:
Have you also found the remote inoperative on the replacement PAL007a?
Old 8th April 2006, 01:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

done it , thanks
Old 8th April 2006, 04:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

There's no rear RCA output so you can not use that as a guide. The subwoofer output has dedicated outputs from the electronic volume control IC. The rear signal from the volume control IC goes only to the rear channel inputs of the power amp IC.

You'll have to trace the signal to determine whether it's the volume control IC or the power amp IC. There are 2 capacitors in series with the signal line. They could be defective but that would likely cause the signal to be low but not noisy.

If you haven't done so yet, you may want to connect a speaker directly to the head unit's harness (after disconnecting the speaker wires going to the rear of the vehicle). A short to ground could be causing the problem. The chip should shut down completely in case of a short but high resistance in the speaker wire could prevent the protection circuit from engaging.

Did you run new wires or did you use the OEM wiring? If you used the OEM wiring, there may be an OEM amp in line causing the problem.
Old 8th April 2006, 05:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

apparently the sub pre-outs can be used as either sub outs or rear pre-outs depending on the selection made on the headunit. Your theory seems good about the caps as the signal into speaker isn't noisy, it is just very quiet in comparison to the other channels. Which cap are you referring to (c number). Is there caps on each channel?
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!