question about capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new at this audio stuff and just upgraded the audio system on my ride. my question is how can I have the digital meter (the number thingy) on the capacitor lit up? I try to charge it using the resistor that was included with the system but the number and the LED on the capacitor won't light up. do I need to do something else for this capacitor to work? thanks in advance for the help

i ground the cap then I hooked up the positive wire to the positive battery terminal to charge the capacitor. Then I hooked up a 12v lightbulb on the other end of the positive wire then I hooked it up to the positive terminal of the cap. the lightbulb dimmed out but the cap doesn't lit up :( or says it was charged. Am I doing it wrong? did I messed up the cap?

You did everything right. The charging bulb does go out after a while, meaning that the cap is charged. The volt meter should turn on whenever it senses a changing voltage (including while the cap is being charged). The only reason that I can think of for the meter not turning on is a faulty meter or a bad connection to the cap. The meter is a pcb that is held to the cap with two screws which are used to connect the wires to the cap. Make sure that the pcb has good contact with those screws.

ps: if the cap is used, it is possible that someone hooked it up backwards and fried the meter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.