Alpine 9856 Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody. I just got my 2001 mustang GT with mach 460 audio and I am trying to replace the head unit with a new Alpine 9856.

I read an article that says you should have a headunit with low pass and high pass crossovers built in for this setup, or you would need to purchase them seperately. The article is here: http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Articles/Replacing-Your-2001-Mach-460-Head-Unit.html

I'm new to car audio installs and am not sure if my new unit has crossovers built in, I don't see that mentioned anywhere in the manual. Is it necessary to have them?

Your headunit does not have those features you are looking for...

That guy has no idea what he is talking about... 170hz to a tweeter would destroy it instantly... the tweeters probably already have bass blockers in them already... That's the only way his survived. 99% of the cars I have seen have the capacitor (bass blocker) build into the tweeter pod.

What the door speakers are looking for is a bandpass line level (RCA cable) output... I would reccomend using a FMOD Low Pass of 2500hz

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=266-288

for your door speakers, you would need 2 pairs of these ~50$

The tweeters are powered directly from the headunit, so you would need a capacitor in line to prevent high frequencies to getting to it... however I am 99% sure there is already a capacitor at the tweeter. If you take your tweeter out, chances are there is a cap on it. If you wanna be extra careful... get yourself a 10 uF bipolar electrolytic capacitor and put it on the positive lead of your headunit's speaker outputs to those tweeters. This is assuming they are 4 ohm tweeters.

Just my .02$

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with it though, if it sounds decent, just maybe add a subwoofer or something... those systems don't sound half bad, and you get yourself into a whole bag of worms... you're not adding much if any sound quality... may look cooler, but unless you're going to start from scratch, you end up fighting what's already there...

Ocelaris said:
Honestly, I wouldn't mess with it though, if it sounds decent, just maybe add a subwoofer or something... those systems don't sound half bad, and you get yourself into a whole bag of worms... you're not adding much if any sound quality... may look cooler, but unless you're going to start from scratch, you end up fighting what's already there...

I concur. The guy said it himself:

The sound quality is pretty much the same as the original Mach 460. I really just wanted to add MP3 functionality and Sirius to my setup and this worked perfectly.

The sound quality is worse than stock. He has a big gap between 50 and 170 hz. Plus he never really mentions mids. All he says is this: 5.5 X 7.5 subwoofer speakers (4), 2.5: midrange / tweeter (4). He doesn't even know what a subwoofer/midrange/tweeter is, so I don't know how he can be picking XO frequencies like that. I wouldn't recommend following that guy's article.

I can't contribute anything more useful because I don't know the specifics of the stock setup. But as Ocelaris said, it would be better to just add a sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.