project smps for car - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2006, 05:33 PM   #1
acruwer is offline acruwer  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default project smps for car

I am seeking an outline of source smps of feeding 12VCC and sáida 30+30V/6A. If somebody can help myself with clues or outlines thank. Thank you very much! My email is anderson_ruwer@yahoo.com.br
Old 15th March 2006, 08:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Default SMPS Schematic

go here: http://sound.westhost.com/project89.htm

Scale it up or down to suit your needs.
Old 16th March 2006, 04:42 PM   #3
acruwer is offline acruwer  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default power smps

I tried to set up this but I had problems with the transformer, depending on how many surbases I put in the primary, MOSFETS warm up. Would I like to know which the size of the ferrite that you used?? Thank you!
Old 17th March 2006, 05:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Default Transformer

You need to figure out your desired switching frequency. This will determine the number of turns on the primary. Remember to double this number, since you are using a center-tap primary. From there, the secondary's output will simply be the turns ratio times the input voltage (13.8V nominal).

Try searching the web for books on switvhing power supplies. Or go to OnSemi"s Website. There are alot of on-line SMPS books that you can download. Nice cut-n-dried equations. just plug in your parameters, and crank out the results.
Old 19th March 2006, 07:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...479#post756479
Old 24th March 2006, 08:44 AM   #6
zilog is offline zilog  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What kind of feedback/regulation is usually employed in car amplifiers? My current design needs a fairly constant voltage to work, so some sort of feedback will be vital.
Old 24th March 2006, 01:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Transformer

Quote:
Originally posted by N-Channel
You need to figure out your desired switching frequency. This will determine the number of turns on the primary. Remember to double this number, since you are using a center-tap primary. From there, the secondary's output will simply be the turns ratio times the input voltage (13.8V nominal).

Try searching the web for books on switvhing power supplies. Or go to OnSemi"s Website. There are alot of on-line SMPS books that you can download. Nice cut-n-dried equations. just plug in your parameters, and crank out the results.
both National and Linear Tech have some very straightforward discussions of the magnetics.

note -- perhaps in Brazil used (broken) PC's might not be quite as available as in the US -- here you can pick up a couple every weekend in the local dump -- the transformers in these can be repurposed quite easily for audio power supply applications -- if you heat in a moderately hot oven they are very easy to pull apart. you might even get a working TL494 converter in the deal!
Old 13th December 2006, 10:40 PM   #8
MartyM is offline MartyM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MartyM
My advice would to be simply order some raw ferret toroid cores at a place like this:

www.surplussales.com

I reduced my toroid sizes from aprox. 2" OD to ~1.54" OD and have a successful prototype SMPS which I have tested to 300W.

I handwound my toroidal transformers at the guy described above and reduced the size.

I hope to fill the void of bad documentation/PCB design files/Bill of materials found on the internet (including the ESP "Project 89") when complete.

I have designed 2 styles, based on the above SMPS but improved after following a commercial design (Planet Audio REM4300 amplifier dual-SMPS) design:
1. Single-output (Standard) SMPS
2. Dual-supply (dual toroid, basicall 2 SMPSs on one boar)

Has anyone found a source of high-current terminal strips that can accept large-gauge wire? I have a solution for the speaker terminals.

Old 20th December 2006, 07:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to junglejuice
Hiya MartyM what is your solution for speaker terminals? Any chance of a pic?
Cheers, Junglejuice....
Old 20th December 2006, 04:47 PM   #10
MartyM is offline MartyM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MartyM
Default Speaker Terminal Strips

Hello, here you go...purchased at www.alltronics.com for $0.79 (#24Z020) USD each, and can be cut to shorter number of terminals.

The quality is good and quite capable of handling high-power speaker applications. Through-hole solder tail type, professional quality.

I have not been able to find the same type for larger wire sizes (except in huge quantities) so I'm still looking for a solution.

Greetings! Merry Christmas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24z020tetermstrip.jpg (38.7 KB, 1347 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!