project smps for car

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Transformer

You need to figure out your desired switching frequency. This will determine the number of turns on the primary. Remember to double this number, since you are using a center-tap primary. From there, the secondary's output will simply be the turns ratio times the input voltage (13.8V nominal).

Try searching the web for books on switvhing power supplies. Or go to OnSemi"s Website. There are alot of on-line SMPS books that you can download. Nice cut-n-dried equations. just plug in your parameters, and crank out the results.

Re: Transformer

N-Channel said:
You need to figure out your desired switching frequency. This will determine the number of turns on the primary. Remember to double this number, since you are using a center-tap primary. From there, the secondary's output will simply be the turns ratio times the input voltage (13.8V nominal).

Try searching the web for books on switvhing power supplies. Or go to OnSemi"s Website. There are alot of on-line SMPS books that you can download. Nice cut-n-dried equations. just plug in your parameters, and crank out the results.

both National and Linear Tech have some very straightforward discussions of the magnetics.

note -- perhaps in Brazil used (broken) PC's might not be quite as available as in the US -- here you can pick up a couple every weekend in the local dump -- the transformers in these can be repurposed quite easily for audio power supply applications -- if you heat in a moderately hot oven they are very easy to pull apart. you might even get a working TL494 converter in the deal!

My advice would to be simply order some raw ferret toroid cores at a place like this:

www.surplussales.com

I reduced my toroid sizes from aprox. 2" OD to ~1.54" OD and have a successful prototype SMPS which I have tested to 300W.

I handwound my toroidal transformers at the guy described above and reduced the size.

I hope to fill the void of bad documentation/PCB design files/Bill of materials found on the internet (including the ESP "Project 89") when complete.

I have designed 2 styles, based on the above SMPS but improved after following a commercial design (Planet Audio REM4300 amplifier dual-SMPS) design:
1. Single-output (Standard) SMPS
2. Dual-supply (dual toroid, basicall 2 SMPSs on one boar)

Has anyone found a source of high-current terminal strips that can accept large-gauge wire? I have a solution for the speaker terminals.

:magnet:

Speaker Terminal Strips

Hello, here you go...purchased at www.alltronics.com for $0.79 (#24Z020) USD each, and can be cut to shorter number of terminals.

The quality is good and quite capable of handling high-power speaker applications. Through-hole solder tail type, professional quality.

I have not been able to find the same type for larger wire sizes (except in huge quantities) so I'm still looking for a solution.

Greetings! Merry Christmas :xmastree:

Attachments

• 24z020tetermstrip.jpg
    24z020tetermstrip.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,521
SMPS Car Audio Switching Power Supply

Hi, thought you might like to see what I've got so far.

It's a switching power supply (SMPS) that can supply up to 300W, possibly more (my prototype I only tested to 300W) .

It provides sufficient holes (if so desired to be drilled) for 10 guage wire, terminal strips for +V,-V, and GND terminals, the standard inline blade (ATC) fuse for protection, and is modeled after an average mass produced amplifier.

Also aimed at the do-it-yourself guy; note that I could not find widely available "2 in 1 TO-220" package rectifier diodes, so I used standard parts, which required separate rectifier diodes.

Also:
1. Based on standard 6 x 6" double side copper clad PCB
2. Single sided is possible, using hand-jumpered wiring on bottom layer (my first prototype had this)
3. Toroidal cores (ferrite, 1.53" O.D.) are available at www.surplussales.com
4. Copper winding wire can be found at same supplier or similar.
5. Allows TO-220x packages to be mounted to amp heatsink, or
user's (vertical or horizontal) heatsinks
6. Modular design-can be used with separate amplifier/audio modules
7. Provides spare power terminals
8. Standard ON/OFF with radio REMOTE connection
9. Tested! :)

Documentation and files: (to be completed)
1. Full Orcad Capture and Layout design files
A. Also in format to be imported by other programs
B. .PDF version
2. Full B.O.M. (bill of materials) and design description

Issues:
1. Currently have not found source of large-gauge input terminals
for high current supply wire

Objective A:
The current SMPS designs on the net are pretty sorry with their documentation, no B.O.M., poor english, and so on...not acceptable from an engineering standpoint.
Knowing I could do a better job, I decided to help out the DIY community and try to fill in the gaps (and they're big gaps!) that make it hard for a creative person to find GOOD information.
ESP's "Project 89" SMPS design is ok, but they won't provide PCB layout info or complete information, so I will be completing my design project notebook soon.

Objective B: My personal objective
Basically I wanted to be able to build my own car amp, most likely will be using the National Semi. LM12CLK or LM3886, in custom amplifier housing, with modular based design, and low/high pass crossovers.

Note: I'm not a self-proclaimed expert in "all things electronic" but have worked quite a while on this design, and appreciate your comments and questions.

Thanks! :)

Note: also finishing a dual-toroid SMPS of same board size, but needs to be prototyped.

Attachments

• smps-sg3525-mcleod-capturepic.jpg
    smps-sg3525-mcleod-capturepic.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,870
Yes, I could do that, but again the problem is that:

1. His PCB layout files were not 'exported' in a format useable by people who don't have whatever version of Protel that guy has.
2. No formal documentation on the design
3. Lack of sensible email reply

I emailed the guy and he had basically little to no reply. Orcad will import Protel, but I don't know what version he has and Orcad wouldn't open the files.

I believe his design is adequate, but not great.

Some of us have higher standards. Basically, I'm saying the issue AGAIN is that a person cannot easily take his info and reproduce the design...especially the do-it-yourself person. It is not documented clearly and the design files are not exported in a format compatible with others.

I'll be finished with mine this week, anyhow.

SMPS

Olá sr. acruwer

Eu montei várias fontes chaveadas para tocar amplificadores automotivos, inclusive este modelo que o colega recomendou do site. Já montei com TL494, SG3524 e 3525 e todos funcionam muito bem. A última que tenho funcionando em montei com um amplificador NA2200 da Nashville, que está no site da audio list, muit forte, bate bem mesmo. Mas essa fonte está apenas com +35-35V e o power trabalha com 65+65 e por isso estou enrolando um novo toroide para chegar próximo a essa tensão. Abraços.
Sandro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.