Which 6"/6.5" sub for rear doors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own an Audi A4 Avant (B5). This is an estate/station wagon. I recently upgraded the head unit and front speakers. Although I changed the woofers from 4" to 5.25" (Infinity Reference series), there is still a lot of bass lacking. I have now configured the head unit to send the LF to the speakers in the rear doors; the front speakers are HP'ed. This has improved the sound quite a bit, with the rears putting out slightly better than expected bass, although this is still just a stopgap.

Now, I don't want to mess with the aesthetics of the car, so the original grills are to be retained, and there can be no extra boxes in the car. My intention is to use the rear doors to house one 6" subwoofer each (driven by separate amp).

Any recommendations for a sub of this size that will work well in the door (sealed) cavity?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have both the TB W6-1139 and the Adire Extremis. If you are going to be using a separate amp I think the decision comes down to what your XO point is going to be. For sheer bass, they are about equal but the Adire will cover the mids better. If you only plan to use it to 200Hz or so the TB is a little cheaper but it has a stamped basket vs the Extremis' cast. I like both woofers equally but for different reasons. Although one is called a 6.5 and the other a 6.8 the outside of the basket is identical.

Hello

You could check if the rear door panel for your Audi to see if it allows the installation of 8" midbass speakers.

8 inch midbass, or even 8" subwoofers are sometimes installed on rear door panels to provide extra bass for those not wishing to get a full fledged sub and enclosure in their rides.

Have a look see whether the mounting panel allows an 8" midbass/subwoofer to go in.

Cheers

hmm, I was shopping today for a replacement for the doorspeakers for an audi (A2 and A3 sportswagon, yes, in principle for both of them)

Unfortunatley to no avail, either they want to sell crap or they want to sell something like 600€ plus for a set of two

From the standard units the bass is too sloppy.
I wanted to look at Focal polyglass, Hertz energy serie, DLS C6, Helix etc.

Call, is the adire extremis also available in 4ohm, I have found only an 8ohm version

Hi I'm looking for a pair of 6.5" woofers for rear fill in my car as well.

Looking at the Tang Bang W6-1130 and Adire Extremis 6.8", I note that the Tang Bangs optimal sealed volume is 4.2 litres unstuffed whereas the Extremis recommends 9.5 litres fully stuffed.

My question is, how much internal volume does a car door usually have? Would the Extremis's parameters make it unsuitable as a car woofer?

Thanks

Most people buy wagons for cargo ability as oppossed to aethetics. I would consider an enclosure, even if a small one. Audi is a great car but those doors are a far cry from a sealed enclosure.

Check out Morel drivers. The MW167 would work. But you really should consider a small sub and amp.

# 6” Damped polymer cone woofer
# High flux neodymium magnet system
# Hexatech voice coil
# Copper lining of VC gap for flatter inductance
# Flange 160mm (6.3”)
# Cut-out 136mm (5.35”)
# Depth 65mm (2.55”

There are a few companies that made inverted magnets on small subs. Also there is a company that sells a processor that claims to "trick" your ears into hearing lower octaves by emphasising select higher ones.

Hi, angeloPB

Most people buy wagons for cargo ability as oppossed to aethetics.

I bought this one more for cargo potential (when I need to lug my speakers around ;) ). It is primarily a family car, and I am trying to retain the authentic look and feel as far as possible (I've already left my mark on the lounge, what with the mismatched look of the HT speakers :eek: .

Audi is a great car but those doors are a far cry from a sealed enclosure.

The MW167 would work.

Would you mind explaining your choice? I guess it must have something to do with your comment about the leakiness of the door. But I had imagined a driver with a higher Qts.

I was looking at the mounting depth and a few of the other specs. Crutchfield, the mail order company, has a good online database as to which speakers will fit in factory locations. Morel and Dynaudio are pricey, but well respected drivers from Europe.

I have been researching small subs to build a line array on the rear deck- i.e., 4 x 6.5". I would like to get rid of my box in the trunk and just concentrate on getting bass into the cabin and not rattling the trunk. So in that way, we share the same goal. But I still will need an enclosure. I consider a door as a free air application. If any of the speaker's back wave is audible, you will have sound quality problems.

Update (long overdue)

I've installed the JL Audio 6W0's, and I'm quite happy with them, for the most part. They're living in the rear doors. Don't really need any time alignment in that location (I'm quite sensitive to bass delay in trunk-mounted subs). I used 2x 8ohm versions in parallel. One of them tends to bottom out. Can't really expect too much SPL from 6" subs. Perhaps they should be high-passed, but I wonder why only one of them does it. Could be a manufacturing defect.

same principle but 5.25 inch

I am going to replace my original 5.25" spekaers in my front doors and rear shelf of my Subary Legacy. I am not planing to use a sub, but I will use my 5.25's with a band pass filter ~60-2800Hz 24db/oct LR. What kind of speaker should I be looking for? I have read some about Q-values for open air installations but how important can it be when I filter everything from 60Hz and downwards away? I am not lloking for deep bass, just a little bit more that stock speakers.

I have 4 pcs of these that i was thinking about dropping right in the original holes. Will they work or should I look for another type of speaker with different values?

Several years ago, I used a Dynaudio 17W75 for that very purpose. It worked out great. I had some bottoming issues at first. But I moved from a 30watt per ch. to 60 watt per ch amp. It got alot more control of cone and it was quite nice. Not a window blower, but at low to moderate volume, it sounded like I had a 10 or 12 in there too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.