friend lacks midbass - need help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey fellas

my buddy has a system is his camaro which roughly consists of a clarion headunit, kenwood amp, and orion subs...he has complained that he cant really feel the thump of a good kick drum....all he hears is superlow stuff and he wants more midbass....i have already messed with the amps Xovers and we cant get the sound he wants

i read a CAAE article about how the kick drum thump is heard between 100 and 500 Hz, which isnt within the Orion's ideal operating range, so he wants to get some midbass drivers...his in dash speakers are small so no chance of midbass there

he wants to spend around 60 bucks on a pair of decent midbass drivers....im gonna build the boxes for him, and he is gonna use an amplifier whose specs i currently dont have...ill look em up and post em later...its a decent amplifier, not HUGe power but not weak either...

any suggestions for brands? anything you have used personally that you can recommend? any other approaches to fixing this problem?

i have heard that midbass drivers need be located in the front of the vehicle...is this mandatory? what effect does placing them in the rear have on sound?

thanks to all replies :)

DragonMaster said:

Want to hear them or not?

yesssss :) ill look into the silver flutes, thanks for the post

i havent checked to make sure the dash speakers are wired correctly...but the subs are...i understand where u are coming from on this point, but it seems like a small lil 4 inch cheap coaxial might not be able to perform down to 100 Hz like a midbass would

now what are some options for effective midbass locations? do they need to be visible to be effective, or can i hide them up under the dash?

now what are some options for effective midbass locations? do they need to be visible to be effective, or can i hide them up under the dash?

Now someone else has to reply : I never played in car audio.

I don't remember at what freq. sound starts being directional.

Hi-Fi in a car...(No, these cheap things are not cheap sounding) I wonder what kind of result it will be. I have the 8" shielded Silver-Flutes waiting for a box and they seem pretty good even in free-air only.

the freq at which point sound starts to become directional isnt absolute, it varies with whatever cone size you are using....at least, i recall david weems teaching me that...

since its a smaller driver, and the freq i desire are relatively low, there shouldnt be any problem with directionality and i should be able to mount them out of sight...

however, this is an estimate for home audio...i am not sure if the same rules apply for the car

ocool_15 said:
i thought someone would have mentioned the adire audio extremis
or perhaps the TB tang band has the W6-1139SC 6.5".

or the elemental designs eu-700 midwoofer, have a pair in my car that recently replaced a pair of the W6-1139SC for power handling reasons. I'm very happy with their mid kick! A bit more expensive than the Tang Band's, and cheaper than the Extremis...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.