Monoblock Decision - assistance please...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all!

First time for me here, all the way from around the world in a little country named Malaysia! Greetings from the east! Happen to stumble by this great forum, and immediately decided to become a member. Hope it's all right...

I am in the midst of a total makeover for my caraudio, and have already bought most of the stuff. However, among my last buys would be the amp of choice to run my subs.

So here goes,

I have two Kicker Comp VR (05CVR124) dual 4 ohms rated 400RMS/800watt max each, yet to be installed. From my understanding, these things can only be wired either at 4ohms or 1ohm.

Now, here in Malaysia there are several monoblocks in the market, but what caught my overall fancy is the:

1. Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1 Class D mono (1200RMS, 1-4ohms)
2. JL Audio Slash 1000/1 Class D mono (1000RMS, 1.5 - 4ohms)
(however the JL is still yet to be found in my shores)

Like I said, what caught my fancy is that the models above give out the same output power between 4 - 1 ohms. I would like to run my subs at 4 ohm; dont wanna risk running the amp heated at 1 ohm.

However, there is also another amp that caught my eye, but a 2 channel, which was the:

Soundstream Van Gogh VGA 1600.2
400RMS@4ohms x 2
800RMS@2ohms x 2
1600RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms mono, bridged

Now my plea for help would be:

1. Of the three above choices, which would be the `best'? (eh suitable would be a better word, i think)
2. Any unpleasant experiences with any of the amps mentioned above?
3. With regards to power draw, what should I look out for?
4. If i were to choose the soundstream, would i be making a mistake?

There we go. I sincerely hope all gurus and enthusiasts alike can assist me on this.

Oh yea, since I'm new, err.. don't flame me okay, ain't so well versed in this field myself. But then flaming is the quickest way to learn!

Thanks all, especially for reading (and replying of course!)

Cheers!

Hey, all those amps are very good choices. I would never run an amp into 1 ohm, for everyday use it's much better to keep around 2 ohms. here's some suggestions that you might use.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you can wire each sub so its in 2 ohms and then buy a 2 channel amp. say you buy a mtx thunder 942. Each sub would get around 450 watts each. Or you can buy 2 mono amps , one for each sub. Just buy smaller amps for each sub.

or buy another sub and wire it like the picture and buy you one mono amp.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks swordfish for the reply.

Hmm I have considered getting 2 channel amps and bridging the before, like you the lowest I will go on any impedance is 1 ohm.

I also like to give a lot of headroom form my amps ie. 2 kicker comp VRs at 400rms each x 2 = 800rms.

After quite an extensive research on wanting to run on 4 ohms and also rms requirements, I have finally arrived (amps which are available here only) at those 3 types.

However, based on your suggestions, I am quite enticed to run 3 subs (DVC 4ohms) and arrive at 2.67 ohms. Must calculate my boot space now haha

Thanks again for the input, swordfish! U rock!

Others?

Cheers

it'ok to run into 1 ohm esp. you have 2 VRs and you want to put on class D amps, they designed to work on 1 ohm not on 4 ohms. i think if your amp really2 on D Class u dont have to worry about the heat, because class D is not hot as a/b one. i have one more suggestion for you : Kicker KX/SX 1250.1 or Orion 1200D :)

Thanks Minds and Glowbug for the replies and advice.

I have thought of running them down to 1 ohm before. Based on your inputs, I understand that Class D are designed stable to run at 1 ohm, without having to worry about excessive heat compared to Class AB amps.

However do I have to worry about power draw when running at 1 ohm? If this is true, then I might have to also consider upgrading my alternator and battery also... erk!

Please correct me if i'm wrong on this :)

Oh yea, the Kicker and Orion amps `slurp!'. However, both brand of amps cost and arm and a leg over here *sigh*. Is it quite rightly priced in Indonesia, Minds?

Glowbug,

Any specific reason why you chose the SS (2 channel) amp as opposed to the Phoenix Gold? The Jl is a fine amp, too by the way.

By the way, HOW is the reputation of Phoenix Gold over there?

Again, thanks a bunch for the input, guys!

Cheers!

Not all Class D or T amps are stable to one ohm...

The big advantage of Class D over A/B is operating efficiency, as I'm sure you're aware of. There are very few true A/B amps that operate at very low impedances because of this reason, US Amps, Alpine, and Boston Acoustics makes a few that I know of, but they take insane amounts of current to make a lot of power at those impedances...

Any specific reason why you chose the SS (2 channel) amp as opposed to the Phoenix Gold? The Jl is a fine amp, too by the way.

Mostly because I'm not a fan of the recent PG lineup. I have a Tantrum 1200.1 and 500.2 in my current install, but the new PG's don't impress me as much. Now, if you could find a used Tantrum 1200.1, the choice would be a lot more difficult ;)

i agree with glowbug, some class D doesn't run into 1 ohm like MTX thunder 6500D or the newly launched orion "economy class".

the class D doesn't drew out as much amps as a/b in 1 ohm my suggestion is that you change your battery to deep cycle dry accu ones such as stinger or SVR or Optima Yellowtop

Oh yea, the Kicker and Orion amps `slurp!'. However, both brand of amps cost and arm and a leg over here *sigh*. Is it quite rightly priced in Indonesia, Minds?

no sweat - -' it hefty around here only JL that almost doesn't have price bias than in the us.

thankfully we have in indonesia some semi local brands called Harmonic Drive Technologies. Their designs somewhat seems like orion 1200D but with half the price, of course with the components "downgraded".

the price for HDT is about 403 sing $ ORion is about 877 sing $ in here.

i dont like PG because their power seems too soft for me (esp the 4 channel octane - -' don't sense any power from them) but the price quite hefty.
maybe for two VR's u can go for Diamond Audio (don't know the price there)

oh yeah almost forgot....the soundstream in SEA seems have bad quality (even tarantula series). In Indonesia the soundstreams were sucks, the designs doesn't have any differences than that korean or chinese non branded amps.

one more consideration for you ARC Audio KAR 900D but i dont know if ARC can play 1 ohm

The Incriminator Audio 20.1 will do a *very* underrated 1.8kW @ 1 ohm, and is stable for daily use down to almost a third of an ohm :bigeyes:

I saw one of these in action last year at a MECA SPL competition, and was impressed to say the least. Definitely not cheap, but one of the best ultra-low impedance daily amps out there :) Of course, your subs may not know what hit them, heh.

http://incriminatoraudio.com/amp.htm

Thanks again all

Wow... whew!

Thats some big names of amps getting thrown around in here hehe.. most of which also cost an arm, a leg.... and also the other arm and leg!

Guys,

Our local brand in Malaysia is the `famed' (eh hehe) prokick made by Agako (dunno if you guys have heard of it). Mmm cant say much bout these amps, nothing spectacular. However, affordable tho.

But, brands mentined herein like Incriminator Audio, ARC Audio, or even the PG Tantrum is, sadly, not available.. have to be imported by request i think :(

Anyway, I have planned to changed my power requirements as well, starting with the alternator which will give a whole load more A's.

The battery i'm currently looking at is the Delphi Freedom MF range. Good?
The optimas are definitely a good choice too. Yet to find their distributor here.

OK back to amps.

The only reason i stated the choice of 2 + 1 amps above, is especially about the power output, rated the same output throughout in 4 - 1 ohms. (except the JL which is only stable up to 1.5 ohms) (the SS can give 400rms x 2@4ohms, which suits the CVR just fine)

So, when this is such, is there a specific reason why I should run my subs down to 1 ohm, when when running them at 4 ohms will also get the job done?

Currently greatly considering the PG..... I have found a seller who is willing to let go (used) his PG Xenon 1200.1 at about USD500 or SingD1000. Good deal? (the new PG Xenon will cost about USD1700... GAwd, the taxes here are killing us ICErs!)

Ermm... Minds, PG tend to be soft? Lacking in the kick in their power?

Cheers, and thanks as always!

i know Agako it's quite pricey in here (blame the importer - -')

what? there's no ARC in Malay? wew just heard this one
hmm never heard the battery brand.

yeap the PGs i heard here all lacks in the kick - -'

dunno aboput the xenon one (no one would buy them here beceause the price is so damn expensive but the aftersales were sucks)

if you can do 4 ohms then do it 4 ohms, much more safer :) but if you can't then find a class D and run them into 1 ohm.

The only reason i stated the choice of 2 + 1 amps above, is especially about the power output, rated the same output throughout in 4 - 1 ohms. (except the JL which is only stable up to 1.5 ohms) (the SS can give 400rms x 2@4ohms, which suits the CVR just fine)

400x2 @ 4 ohms? don't get it, Isn't VR DVC 4 Ohms? so you're only choice is either play it 2 ohms stereo or 1 ohm mono or 8 ohms stereo or 4 ohms mono?

Duuuhhhh sorry my bad hehe. Brain must overloaded its ohms haha

Rite about that Minds, the single VR can only be configured to go 2 ohms mono or 8 ohms mono; dual will be 1 ohm mono and 4 ohm mono respectively. Again, my bad!

The SS rates:

Soundstream VGA1600.2
400w X 2ch @ 4 ohms stereo
800w X 1ch @ 2 ohms stereo
1600w X 1ch @ 4 ohms mono - this is the chosen output rate for the dual VR

Then, again this aint no monoblock, which will be the major determining factor when when considering purchase over the other two brands mentioned in here.

Thanks Minds!

Cheers

Oh yea the prokick DG2400.

That not bad, dishes out 1750RMS at 1 ohm.

Sold quite widely here and affordable too, abt 650singD.

But from what i've seen and heard, got a strong power draw to it and runs quite hot at 1 ohm too... can do a barbeque on the heatsink haha

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.