What type of AMP needed (help much appriciated) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2006, 08:58 PM   #1
AndrewZ is offline AndrewZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Arrow What type of AMP needed (help much appriciated)

Hello,

Im working on setting up my system and needed some opinions on what type of amp (or amps) I need to purchase to power my subs. I have three Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 12" Dual 4-ohm subs that I will be putting in a custom fiberglass enclosure in my Grand Cherokee. The RMS for each sub is 500 watts with a peak power handling of 1k each. My question is what type of amp should I be looking for, or would it be easier to use two smaller amps?

Thanks so much any response will be greatly appriciated
Old 5th March 2006, 11:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default amps

How much money have you got?? Are you running all three in the same enclosure? what have you chosen for a wiring setup? The total resistance is important. Each speaker can be set up for 2ohm or 8ohm use then they can be wired in series or parallel. If each speaker is wired for 2ohms then all three are wired in series for 6ohms an amp that puts out 1000w @ 4ohms and 2000w @ 2ohms will give you 1500w @ 6ohms a perfect match. Don't buy a cheap one because it will never put up these kind of numbers. Zapco, Brax, Helix are nice choices for gobs of cash. Older American made Orion's, PPI's,Hifonics, US Amps are good choices. JL Audio would work too. Keep in mind that when you cut the impedence in half and double the power even if the amp can handle it well distortion goes up, signal to noise and damping factor go down. If you like tight bass keep the damping factor above 200>
Old 6th March 2006, 02:09 AM   #3
Minds is offline Minds  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

you have 3 or 1 P3 ?
if you only have one p3 then anything 600w @ 2ohm will do.
try hifonics brutus 1205D or Kicker KX 1200 or Orion 1200 D
2 smaller amps? believe me..you wouldn't want it difficult at matching the gains, settings of filter - -' except you want to cut it from head unit.
Old 6th March 2006, 05:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Staticjeep
sweet lol.. you got a grand too... post some pictures of the setup when you are done... i would love to see it.. i own a zj but last night my tranny f**ked up... sorry for thread steal lol.... and a bit off of topic..
Old 9th March 2006, 06:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up subs

if your going for all rockford i suggest 1000bd
i have a getto system right now cause i blew my 3 mtx 6000s
but im running 2 p3d4's and one he2d4 and im pushing it with a planet audio tt850d and its doing it very nicely but you need at least 1000w for 3 of them and not a cheap amp if u go that route get 2 cheap amps

Hide this!Advertise here!