What type of AMP needed (help much appriciated)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Im working on setting up my system and needed some opinions on what type of amp (or amps) I need to purchase to power my subs. I have three Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 12" Dual 4-ohm subs that I will be putting in a custom fiberglass enclosure in my Grand Cherokee. The RMS for each sub is 500 watts with a peak power handling of 1k each. My question is what type of amp should I be looking for, or would it be easier to use two smaller amps?

Thanks so much any response will be greatly appriciated :)

amps

How much money have you got?? Are you running all three in the same enclosure? what have you chosen for a wiring setup? The total resistance is important. Each speaker can be set up for 2ohm or 8ohm use then they can be wired in series or parallel. If each speaker is wired for 2ohms then all three are wired in series for 6ohms an amp that puts out 1000w @ 4ohms and 2000w @ 2ohms will give you 1500w @ 6ohms a perfect match. Don't buy a cheap one because it will never put up these kind of numbers. Zapco, Brax, Helix are nice choices for gobs of cash. Older American made Orion's, PPI's,Hifonics, US Amps are good choices. JL Audio would work too. Keep in mind that when you cut the impedence in half and double the power even if the amp can handle it well distortion goes up, signal to noise and damping factor go down. If you like tight bass keep the damping factor above 200>

you have 3 or 1 P3 ?
if you only have one p3 then anything 600w @ 2ohm will do.
try hifonics brutus 1205D or Kicker KX 1200 or Orion 1200 D
2 smaller amps? believe me..you wouldn't want it :) difficult at matching the gains, settings of filter - -' except you want to cut it from head unit.

subs

if your going for all rockford i suggest 1000bd
i have a getto system right now cause i blew my 3 mtx 6000s
but im running 2 p3d4's and one he2d4 and im pushing it with a planet audio tt850d and its doing it very nicely but you need at least 1000w for 3 of them and not a cheap amp if u go that route get 2 cheap amps:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.