amp design plan use by multiple companies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
amp design plan use by multiple companies?

is it normal practice for a company to go and buy design from another company or designers? if so, what are the ups and downs when buyin the plan?

what does it say about a company that utilizes a same plan that another company use?

what are some some big names out there that borrow another company's design or plan?

Using a proven design can save lots of money on R&D.

There are some companies that are run by people who are engineers/designers like Robert Zeff (now head of ARC audio I think -- used to design for Zapco) who take pride in their designs. There are companies run simply to make money. If you're in it for financial gain alone, you likely don't care what's under the cover as long as it's reasonably reliable and has sound quality good enough for the average consumer.

There are a lot of amps that have the class D 'engine' that use the chips re-marked B52 and F16 (the original markings are sanded off). For the most part, you can use the schematic for one to work on the others. Here is a list of a few of the manufacturers who now or at one time used a generic class D audio section:

JBL
Kicker (not marked B52/F16 but use the same parts)
Crossfire
Memphis
Directed
Cadence
Majestic (before it went under)

B52 and F16 are aircraft. I guess someone was trying to be funny when they picked the code numbers for the chips.

They also used to use another aircraft designation for the large driver IC used in some amps (HIP4080AIP). I think they used A10 but I don't remember for sure.

Those defaced/re-marked ICs are rare. Most ICs are clearly labeled so there's not much to remember.

zapco ag 350 car amp

I have a zapco ag 350 car amplifier that will not power up. So i opened the chasis no sign of short or over heating and it does not blow the fuse either seems to be a power supply problem can anyone tell me what i need to do to troubleshoot this problem and has anybody else had this problem? thanks!!!!!!!!!!

F-16 is a divide by 16 CMOS chip
B-52 is a very high speed op-amp (typically National Semi device)

I will post JBL direct part numbers later :)

Most Class D and Class AB amps are built generically by offshore companies, all you need do is spec a case and cosmetics and they supply the Amp-guts of their choice and VIOLA!!! your a Amp company with a sales office and a gigantic staff of maybe 5 to 6 employees, selling millions of dollars worth of $38.00 amplifiers made overseas.

This the current business model of many companies. Warranty and product support are covered by direct replacement using rejected and repaired <offshore> B stock with a new box and paperwork so you think they actually gave you a completely "New" replacement amp.

The typical $38.00 amp sells here for over $600.00 PLUS. So at the cost they actually paid they could actually afford to replace your broken new amp several times without even breaking a sweat.

Blame all this on $2,500.00 a year salary labor rates for Lab level employees in Asia.

And people got upset over sweat shop labor making clothes lol lol lol If they only knew their big screen was made the same way as their clothes and many other things your now buy from Chinese factories:bigeyes: :whazzat: :bigeyes: :whazzat: :bigeyes: :whazzat:

F-16 is a 14 stage counter listed as a MC14060

B-52 is a LM-361 very high slew rate Op-amp by National Semi

The reason for coding these parts is so untrained and unauthorized personnel will not be able to repair or copy this very fundamental design of a Class D amp.
This used to be done back in the 60's and early 70's by amp builders here in the US so only factory trained people could and would repair these products. Plus any maker of Semi's will custom mark your product with a house code number.:) :) :) :) :)

Very few manufacturers actually make their own amps now, especially when it comes to large class D amps. Chunglam Electronics in Korea makes amps for at least a dozen big-name US companies and more in Europe as well. Only a few companies like Rockford and Hifonics make their own amps anymore, and I wouldnt be surprised if those are outsourced to Korea as well.

Hifonics amps are generic. Rockford has moved at least part of their production to Asia.

Pandora:
Please post the list of manufacturers names and the Asian build houses that produce their amplifiers.

It seems that Chung Lam has produced amps for JBL, Cadence, Crossfire, Directed, Memphis, Kicker, Orion, Maaxxsonics.

I'd like to know who designed the class D section of the MTX, Sony and Xtant amplifiers. They're all the same. It seems that those amps may have been produced by the same build house building the amps for Planet Audio, Power Acoustic, Alphasonik and all of the similar clones.

Pandora:please post the list of manufacturers names and the Asian build houses that produce their amplifiers.

Some other manufacturers who use Korean buildhouses for their amps are:
SPL Dynamics
American Bass
Eaudio
Solid Audio
Atomic
Digital Designs
Incriminator Audio
Treo
Crossfire
Ground Zero
Directed
Orion
DEI
Soundstream
Viper
Powerbass
Massive
Autotek
Mmats
Caliber (Chunglam`s house amp)

As far as I know, they are all either made by either Chunglam, Yoo Seong Intertech, Sams Electronics, or Millet Technics. I only have personal experience dealing with Sam`s Electronics and Chunglam, so I don`t know too much about the others. I can match a few of the above with their Korean buildhouse, but others I am not sure.

There are a lot of other companies that I suspect of outsourcing to Korea, but I do not want to list their name when I am not sure. As a matter of fact, the only class D car audio amplifer that I know for sure is not made in Korea is Stetsom, since they are made in Brazil.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.