line input to pioneer deck (for ipod)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

I have a very cheapo pioneer cd unit in my car. A DEh-1650.
I cant aford to buy a new one with a line input, but i really want to use my ipod in the car.

So im thinking of opening it up and just soldering onto the output of the cd section of the thing before it is amplified. I dont really know what im doing. Perhaps id have to have a blank cd playing so the unit doesnt just switch back to radio..

If anyone has an idea of how to do this better id love to hear it. Or just some help doing it this way.

I dont think the unit is able to control a stacker, so i dont think i can just wire it up that way.

Thanks.

matt

Hey.

Well, just for anyone that is interested. I opened it up. Found after much looking where the output of the cd player was. Soldered on some phone line (cause its small diameter wire), soldered on a 3.5 mm stereo jack and it works.

I do need to figure out how to make a cd of nothing though.

matt

Joined 2002
Paid Member
1. download a free audio editor (audacity comes to mind)

2. record a wave file from a muted input (you'll need to kep recording for 80 minutes to fill a CD.

3. Burn the file as an audio CD with a single track. Pure silence.

Isn't the iTrip good enough for you, by the way?

Hey Sangram.

Yeah thats pretty much what i did, just used sound recorder and copy pasted it till it was a cd's worth.

Works great, bugger all noise.

Yeah, dont have an ipod transmitter thingy. Never really had the money and have not really heard great things about them with interference and sound quality. Im going to make a nice cradle for my ipod so i thought a line would be the way to go.

Take it easy.

matt

Hey, well i'll tell you what i did, and hopefully its something similar for your alpine.

Just opened it up (easy since its mainly clips with a few screws)

Then i looked inside and the cd player part is held in a removable cage type of thing. Inside the cage is the motor and the spring suspension to stop skipping, the lazer and a pcb. The pcb had a wide ribbon cable on it connecting it to the main pcb board. After much looking around, i found on the cd player pcb a small solder pad with L, one with R and one with GND. I simply soldered some phone line on to this (since its really small diameter wire 'cause tiny solder pads). I routed the phone line neatly to the inside of the player and put it through a rubber gromet out the back. Then i spliced in a line with a 3.5mm stereo jack on the end.

So basically, i was lucky that the makers (pioneer) decided to put in a little L, R and Gnd. I think most players would have it somewhere though cause often PCBs are labled.

Good luck.

Hey.

Yeah mine was just a Left, right and a common ground. The name of the connector from the cd pcb to the main? its not a ribbon cable is it?

Id think that on many players the l, r and gnd would be close to the ribbon connecter thing, if indeed the cd stage just puts out a small signal to the main amp.

Dunno if that helps at all.

Good luck.

troublecomes said:
Hey, well i'll tell you what i did, and hopefully its something similar for your alpine.

Just opened it up (easy since its mainly clips with a few screws)

Then i looked inside and the cd player part is held in a removable cage type of thing. Inside the cage is the motor and the spring suspension to stop skipping, the lazer and a pcb. The pcb had a wide ribbon cable on it connecting it to the main pcb board. After much looking around, i found on the cd player pcb a small solder pad with L, one with R and one with GND.

I have a similar Pioneer unit, model number DEH-5. I have the words on this PCB labeled "ROUT", "LOUT", and "AGND", but I don't know to which pins they correspond to. They are right above the white connect in the first pic of the bottom.

I have taken some pics of the bottom of the PCB and then the second one is the top just incase that tells some one anything. The pics are almost 1 MB. Does any one know which pins on the white connector the word words correspond to? It also says "L" and "R" below the white connector.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/jimmy154/DSCF0232.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/jimmy154/DSCF0233.jpg

I got my mp3 player working without a blank cd. My Cd player is broken now and makes some strange popping noises without the mp3 player plugged in, but that's fine by me. :D

I would like to add that it is easier to solder on the main PCB then the cd player PCB. Just follow the cd wires down to the main PCB. On my Pioneer DEH-5 pin 14 is left or white, 15 is ground, and 16 is right or red. Pin 23 is the one closest to the back of the cd player.

I messed up soldering the cd player PCB and damaged some solder joints a little, so I followed the connections to the main PCB, then I put it back together and the cd player did not work at all. It ejected the cd after few seconds of making strange noises over and over again. So I took the cd player out and resoldered where I had caused some damage on the cd player PCB and then it worked fine. Well until I hooked up the mp3 player, it makes strange noises now, but only when I try to play a cd without the mp3 player plugged in :lickface:

Hey Jimmy..
Ok, so sounds like you were reasonably successful. I just looked at those pics before i realised that you'd already done it. Just for your interest, i soldered to the L and R and from memory the gnd was the one between them. Wish i'd taken a picture!

Interesting about the noise when the mp3 player is not plugged in...i have no idea..

have fun!

-matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.