Decibel Meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if anyone knows where i can buy a decibel meter. i need one for my car so i can see how hard my 4 12s hit. i use to have 4 12s in my jeep but some idiot jacked all of my stuff and i decided to go with 12s... they are pioneers.

i would like one where its digital.. but analog is alright is its cheap.. hehe

yeah we need something more than 120-130db i bought the one from radioshack and couldnt really figure how to use it... every time i tested it it said 70db... it was funny because i would yell and it said 70db lol... and i know my car hits much harder than 70db lol.. i need something to got up to 150db atleast....

Do it yourself method.

Since 130dB is the "Threshold of PAIN", you probably don't want to be in the car when you measure sound over that figure, so here's what you can do. Put the meter on the seat, and observe it through the closed windows. (or put plugs in your ears!)

1. Measure the sound level with your dB meter set for its maximum range.
2. Tape a ball of cotton over the mircophone on the meter.
3. Make the measurement again, and observe the difference in dB between the measurements.
4. Keep adding more cotton until you get a reasonable difference, such as 30 dB.
5. Your 120 dB meter now measures up to 150dB. When the meter reads 120 dB with the cotton over the microphone, it is actually in a 150dB environment.

Of course, the cotton over the microphone will probably change the frequency response of the meter, but the only alternative I can think of is to open the meter and install an additional attenuator between the microphone and the meter circuit.

Incidentally, I took my meter apart to see how difficult it would be to add resistors to the circuit, and the microphone is soldered directly to a printed circuit board, which uses surface mounted components. It might be possible to modify it, if you are a glutton for punishment. My meter only cost $25 so even if I can't get it back together, it was a cheap education!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.