replacement woofers for component set

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

Newbie here with a question I am hoping to get some suggestions on.

I have some (1996) 5 1/4' MB Quart QM 130's (1996) with the musicomp crossovers. I would like to replace the woofer with a larger driver to get some more mid-bass up in the front stage. They are going into an '02 Explorer that has 6x8 factory holes but I would like to modify them to get some 7" drviers in there.

The question is, what would you recommend as replacements for these drivers in order to get a litte more kick up front?

Thanks for the help!

t-man if your using them to mate with the mb quart tweeter check out the peerless autosound csx 6.5 inch mids from madisound.com or zalyron.com should run you about 35.00 ea, much better driver than the mb of its size good midbass smooth midrange, very efficient etc, for the price and the way your using them dont think youll find another better

Hey,

Thanks for the responses.

dodgeblue - I checked out the Peerless and they are enticing and yes I am looking to pair it with the existing tweeter in that compenent set. Do you have a set of these or have you heard them in an install? At $35/ea or so I can't go wrong.

ocool_15 - As for the t/s parameters. I have emailed MB Quart to get those as I no longer have the paperwork that came with them. Hopefully I can get that soon and I will post those as well as some pics.

Thanks again for the help so far!

good to hear you are getting some info taylor, yes i had a pair of peerless csx drivers a few years ago in my honda they replaced a set of image dynamics cx62,s ,more efficient better midbass and smoother midrange in my car my own opinion-i was very surprised to say the least 35.00 ea!, my active crossover on them as follows, lp 4k 18 db , hp 63 hz 24 db if i remember correctly,common hp for the tweeter on most mbquart crossovers are 3.7k -4k, the peerless csx is pretty smooth up 4.5k or so ithink it will mate well and sound much better than the original mb mid, i powered them with numerous amps from an old harman kardon tc 400q and hk tc 600q,adcom 4404 mtx 2300,orion 2150 ads pq20 etc, theyll take gobs of power and sound good doing it. typically the mbquarts tweeters are a bit bright their older mids were not very efficient with the peerless being more efficient should help for an overall smoother sound and tweeter shouldnt be as overbearing without proper tuning,

Excellent info blue! That is the kind of info I was looking for so you have helped me out a gerat deal. I will post the info if/when I get it from MB Quart.

I think that I will order them and throw them in a see how they sound. It is getting cold up here in New York so it may be a couple of weeks before I can get to it but I will post my thoughts when I do.

Thanks again for the help and info!:) :D

glad we were able to help,i dont know how much power you are going to pwr them with ,if using an amplifier and your looking for better midbass perf. look into insulating-dynamat -rammat etc- inside the doors and the outside doorskin-where the panel goes,it will really help ,keep us posted !! good luck in the ny weather!!

Hey dodgerblue,

I will be sending them about 75 watts rms. I am not into really loud music just mainly sq. I will be pairing them with some infinty kappa 6 1/2' in the back and then 2 Boston Pro 10's for subs. I had this setup in my old Plymouth Breeze and it worked for me. But I wasn't too crazy about the lack of midbass up front so that is was I am looking to address.

I am curious about what you use or would recommend as replacement tweets? I hear you on the brigthness of the Quart Tweets. Looks like I could just get a whole new compenent system. I hear that the musicomp crossovers are of good quality so I suppose I should just stick with them. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW, any experience with Morel drivers? i was checking them out at Madisound as well. Not sure if they are worth the extra cash over the Peerless but thought I would ask.

Peace ~

HEY TAYLOR ,PERSONALLY I FEEL THE XTRA CASH ON THE MORELS WOULD NOT GIVE BETTER PERFORMANCE SPECIALLY IF MIDBASS IS A CONCERN,NOT THAT THE MORELS ARE BAD DRIVERS,BUT THE PEERLESS CSX WILL GIVE BETTER MIDBASS 5MM X-MAX AND ARE MORE EFFICIENT,THEYLL DO GREAT WITH 75 W PER,AT THAT PRICE AND YOUR SITUATION ITS THE BEST CHOICE I KNOW OF, AS FAR AS THE TWEETERS ,THE MB,S CAN SOUND GOOD-DECENT WHEN EQED DEPENDING ON YOUR TASTES,THERE ARE INEP SOLUTIONS OUT THERE THAT ARE SMOOTHER SOUNDING,BUT IF RAN WITH THE MBQUART PASSIVES IT WILL BE EASIER TO STICK WITH THEM,ID GET THE PEERLESSES INSTALL THEM WITH THE MB QUART TWEETERS AND CROSSOVERS AND SEE HOW SHE SOUNDS FIRST YOU MAY BE PLEASED ENOUGH TO LEAVE THE TWEETS IN THERE!AS FAR AS THE CROSSOVERS GO I DONT KNOW WICH MODELS THEY ARE BUT IVE HAD A COUPLE SETS SOME TIME AGO AND THEY HAVE BEEN OF GOOD QUALITY - POLYPRO CAPS DECENT RESISTORS ETC, DID YOU DO ANY WORK TO YOUR DOORS YET -IE DYNAMAT RAMMMAT INSULATION?CURIOUS GET THEM IN THERE!!:D

Hey blue,

Thanks for the input. I will stick with the Peerless and the MB tweets and see how they sound. I have yet to do any dampening with the doors. Again, it is tough to do when it is in the teens outside :eek:

But, I will get the system in and see how it sounds and then start some tweeking. I really do appreciate all your help. The info has given me some stuff to think about and a solid place to start with making this baby purr, and pound a little :D

BTW, I grew up in San Diego area and my dad is a huge Dodger fan. Been to the park a few times. I am not sure if that is the source of your name but thought I would give it a shot.

Peace ~

right on grew up in torrance moved to az at 17 ,family is dodgerfans for ever it seems so grew into it!no more baseball for me, travel and play softball now, i think you love the peerless ,too bad about the weather but if you soend a few dollars on dampening the doors properly it will shurely be rewarding and a tighter midbass higher output and smoother midrange well worth it for those drivers ,good luck keep us posted !!! dodgers look great this year on paper, theyll be fun to watch again, hopfully beat up on roid boys giants!! take care

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.