Granddaddy System!Expert required! Alpine?Fosgate?Or Non-Brand?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dude, in the time it takes to woop a dogs ***, I bought 2 ID MAX 12 v.3 D4 and a Q Logic sealed/ported dual purpose box tuned @ 37hz. The box is heavy duty and it is both sealed and has included ports incase you want to change. My buddy just came over and bought my box with the poopoo PIIs and my PG X1200.1. I now have this and two Kicker Sx1250.1's on there way. My wife is gonna pitch a fit for sure, lol. Done correctly, what can I expect from this? I bought the subs and box from Cardomain and the Chameleons will have to wait, gotta make more room on the CC...Polo.:bawling: :D

ok,

ive gone for two 15" Diamond TDX 15D4. Now i need a super sub to compliment it.

I dont understand what to look for when buying an amp to match the sub so here is the techs

Diamond TDX15D4

# 15" TDX subwoofer
# Kevlar Nomex sandwich cone
# Die Cast aluminum basket
# Neodynium magnet
# huge dual voice coils
# Dual spiders with woven tinsel leads
# Power(W RMS):1200
# Impedance (ohms): Dual 4
# Sensitivity (dB SPL): 91 (2.83-V input @ 1 meter)
# Frequency Response: 18Hz-200Hz(±3dB
# Mounting Depth: 12.1"

I have been recommended the Pheonix Gold x1200 but the every site i look for dont either have it in stock or dont sell internationaly(iam based in the UK). (unless you recommened me one)

I looked around and saw these amps which looked decent but dont know if they are any good for my diamonds.

Orion: 2500D - 2500W RMS Mono Amplifier

# Dynamic Power Rating: 5000 watts
# Rated Power @ 4 ohm (WRMS): 1200 x 1
# Rated Power @ 2 ohm (WRMS): 1700 x 1
# Rated Power @ 1 ohm (WRMS): 2500 x 1
# Frequency response: 20Hz - 300Hz
# Crossover range/scope: LP 30 - 250hz, 12/24 db octave
# Input sensitivity: 200mV - 5V
# Equalization Circuit: Intelli Q 10 db
# Dimensions*: 27.2"L x 10.5"W x 2.3"H (* Amplifier
dimensions are for heat sink only; add 2 1/2 inches
per side to allow for end cap installation )
# Protection: - Thermal protection, DC offset
protection, Reverse polarity protection, Short circuit
protection, Over/under voltage protection

------------------------------------------
and

West Coast Customs: WCC-D5000 Mono Amplifier

* Class D mono amplifier, all MOSFET design
* Dynamic Power Rating: 5000 watts
* Rated Power @ 4 ohm (WRMS): 1000 x 1
* Rated Power @ 2 ohm (WRMS): 1500 x 1
* Rated Power @ 1 ohm (WRMS): 2350 x 1
* Selectable 12/24 db/Octave variable low pass filter
* Separately adjustable, selectable variable high pass
filter with proprietary copy/master control curcuit
for RCA outputs
* Copy/master feature supports gain and crossover
adjustment matching with multiple amplifiers
* Switchable phase inver function

I found a website and they are both going for half price at £499.99 which is about US $892. I dont know if these will fit the criteria for the subs so please let me know.

Or any other amps or deals you come across.

Come on guys, i know you can help me on this one!

Regards

Lynx

v1d9uy said:
i had 2 sets of alpine type r 6-1/2 componants with a 4 channel MTX running them and the 2 type r 12s with a 8100d running them in a perty small sealed box fireing up at the back window in my 84 corvette... windows up mic on the dash and i hit 152db i even had a guy sit on the back window cuz it was lifting off the seal....my friend had the same setup but was useing 2 of the 12" kicker solo baric square subs... and he was louder but it sounded like *** ... as you would say it was a one note wonder.....

Chawk said:
just a couple more type r vids

The Blazer Doing one heck of a hair trick. Remember, this is just 2 12" alpine type R's! http://www.thecaraudiobox.com/eventpicsandvids/2typeR12hair.wmv

Just showing off! That thing moves some serious air... just 2 alpine type R 12's! A MUST SEE! http://www.thecaraudiobox.com/eventpicsandvids/2typeR12blazer.wmv

this is on type r 15 Does a 122 in a car thats approx 20 feet away! http://www.thecaraudiobox.com/eventpicsandvids/typeR15car2car.wmv

Low on the totempole go figure. not trying to start an argument but in there price and power range they are deffinetly one of the best.

First, that Blazer has a pure spl install with over twice as much power available, that setup can't even be compared. Second, even without taking that into account, at the bottom line you're comparing ported to sealed, which again can't be done, especially not when you're dealing with a lot of power playing a single note right at the box's tuning frequency.

I didn't even know your type-r subs were sealed, that just kills the whole thing. It's absolutely impossible for a pair of sealed type-r 12s to hit 152dB in a car, bottom line, regardless of how much power you have available. To do so would literally require breaking the laws of physics, a pair of those subs do not have the displacement necessary to pull a score like that, they would tear themselves apart before even getting CLOSE. Now I'm not saying you're a liar, far from it, but there have been some big advancements in spl sensors in recent years. It's been shown that the mics used even a few years ago were highly inaccurate, often recording spl scores 10-15dB above what it actually is. There is no doubt in my mind that if you took that same setup and measured it on a termlab, you would pull somewhere around the mid 130s, no higher.

In case you don't believe me, check out what's required to get above a 150 on the Termlab.

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=20680&Season=2006&Page=3
2 of the loudest subs made (I'm not making this up, they hold the world record) in 15" form with 8,000rms of amplification and a pure SPL install (high tune, large box, lots of port area), and that only pulled a 151.8

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=6842&Season=2006&Page=3
2 10" versions of the same sub with 10,000rms (different vehicle acoustics, less cabin to fill with sound, so it requires less displacement than the vehicle above. Still a dedicated spl install, high tune, lots of area, and it got a 154.5

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=18814&Season=2006&Page=3
There's 4 15" crossfires with 10,000rms, it got a 142.3

I mean I would be lucky to hit a 140 and I've got nearly twice as much displacement as a pair of sealed 12" type-r subs and 1500rms instead of 1000.

lynxjava said:
ok,

ive gone for two 15" Diamond TDX 15D4. Now i need a super sub to compliment it.

I dont understand what to look for when buying an amp to match the sub so here is the techs

Alright, you've got a pair of dual 4ohm subs that claim to need 1200rms a piece. If you want to spend the money to actually give them that much power then you would want 2400x1 @ 1ohm (like the orion). I'm sure you could go for around 1500 @ 1ohm and be perfectly fine though, not many subs can handle 1200rms mechanically when sealed.

Safe_Cracker said:
Dude, in the time it takes to woop a dogs ***, I bought 2 ID MAX 12 v.3 D4 and a Q Logic sealed/ported dual purpose box tuned @ 37hz. The box is heavy duty and it is both sealed and has included ports incase you want to change. My buddy just came over and bought my box with the poopoo PIIs and my PG X1200.1. I now have this and two Kicker Sx1250.1's on there way. My wife is gonna pitch a fit for sure, lol. Done correctly, what can I expect from this? I bought the subs and box from Cardomain and the Chameleons will have to wait, gotta make more room on the CC...Polo.:bawling: :D

Make sure you seal up that box, Q-logic doesn't exactly make the best enclosures, but if you seal up the seams it should be fine.

That's not the amp you should have gotten for those subs, each sub can be wired to 2ohm, or you could wire the pair to 1ohm. You've got 2 amps that put out their optimum power at 1ohm, which means you could either use one amp, run it at 1ohm, and send 1250 to the pair (625 to each), or you could use both amps, run them each at 2ohm, and send 625 to each sub.

You should have either bought one amp, or got the dual 2ohm version of the sub.

Either way, that's a very nice sub. The pair of those should have about 60% more linear displacement than the P2s (if the P2s were 12s), which would come out to around 4dB more output at full excursion in a sealed box. The sound quality should be no competition though, the IDMAX is regarded as one of the best sounding woofers available, for any price.

I apologize I did indeed get the 2 ohm DVC version and changed the box to an OBCON Godzilla GZ328-12 slot ported enclosure. The ported chamber volume comes out to be 1.65 cu ft. I thought about it before I decided to keep the second amp. I changed from a Q Logic ported/sealed setup when i found out from a buddy that a sealed setup would never be as loud. thanks forthe ideas! Polo..

PS- The sub rec min ported chamber volume is 1.80 cu ft but the box I am getting is 1.65 cu ft (per chamber x2), is this a big thing or will they still perform well? I can still change my order as long as I do it quickly...Thanks....:)

Safe_Cracker said:
I apologize I did indeed get the 2 ohm DVC version and changed the box to an OBCON Godzilla GZ328-12 slot ported enclosure. The ported chamber volume comes out to be 1.65 cu ft. I thought about it before I decided to keep the second amp. I changed from a Q Logic ported/sealed setup when i found out from a buddy that a sealed setup would never be as loud. thanks forthe ideas! Polo..

PS- The sub rec min ported chamber volume is 1.80 cu ft but the box I am getting is 1.65 cu ft (per chamber x2), is this a big thing or will they still perform well? I can still change my order as long as I do it quickly...Thanks....:)

Alright, if you got the dual 2ohm version that's fine

That box sould be alright I guess, but I would recommend you stick with sealed if you're going for SQ, those subs will have more than enough displacement for any reasonable listening level even when sealed, there's really no reason to go ported. Ported setups just don't mesh well with the automotive environment, at all, you can't get a flat response without compromising every advantange that a ported setup typically offers. You're stuck with a large spike around the tuning frequency, which will hurt frequency response as well as transient response (since they're essentially the same thing).

It depends on taste though, some people like the 10+dB spike that you get around the tuning frequency from a ported box, just a matter of opinion. What frequency is that box tuned to though, that will have a huge impact on the sound, especially since very few ported boxes are tuned at anything that can be considered respectable (I wouldn't even consider anything above ~32hz).

go with some JLW7... They will rock your heart out.. im hoping to get like 2-4 of them for my project car which is a civic. dont know what amp i am going to use but i need something powerful. i will probably use one of the alpine higher amps. my friend has 3 w0s in his integra with a alpine amp and it rocks. his are 10s but i am going to go for 12s or 15s at least.. heheh i know im crazy

I didn't even know your type-r subs were sealed, that just kills the whole thing. It's absolutely impossible for a pair of sealed type-r 12s to hit 152dB in a car, bottom line, regardless of how much power you have available. To do so would literally require breaking the laws of physics, a pair of those subs do not have the displacement necessary to pull a score like that, they would tear themselves apart before even getting CLOSE. Now I'm not saying you're a liar, far from it, but there have been some big advancements in spl sensors in recent years. It's been shown that the mics used even a few years ago were highly inaccurate, often recording spl scores 10-15dB above what it actually is. There is no doubt in my mind that if you took that same setup and measured it on a termlab, you would pull somewhere around the mid 130s, no higher.
Now it is possible to hit 150+ with a set of Type Rs in a well designed ported enclosure. Hell it is possible to hit a 150 with a single 15" driver. I don't even like Type Rs just because every newbie little punk has to have them, lol. The figures in those TCAB videos are indeed accurate and backed up by the MECA scores found here http://events.mecacaraudio.com/eventresults.php?eventid=334
under Team "Phat Hertz". Under modified, Mark Potts, owner of TCAB with his Blazer, two 12 type R's doing a 154.4, not too bad.
Now the box in this video http://www.thecaraudiobox.com/eventpicsandvids/tcab1507one15.wmv I got for a great price and should get it soon, with carpet of course. The biggest improvement will be the addition of a single RE sx15" instead of the R. If this setup is as good as I have heard my ID MAX's will be up for sale and I have only had them for a week! I did indeed actually buy two RE subs thinking I was gonna be able to stuff htem in my trunk but I was told a trunk with too much clutter will actually hurt my performance, sound right? I will try it out and post back with results and detailed photos. I do have to say one thing since I do have the RE subs on hand, they are fricken awesome looking! Polo..:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.