Those were the days!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you try cleaning the laser? that happens to me about every 3-4 months, i just take the top cover off and wipe it with a (Q-tip)cotton bud.

i have the online manual but it doesnt have the actual balanced wiring color code to terminal pin layout. :(

maybe the paper manual has it?

ive considered changing girlfriends....she whines more than a sparkomatic booster (<<< now thats old school)... :D

if you have any ideas you can hit me at clipped@gmail.com

thanx
matt

I'm sure she's not that bad Matt. Take my Dual Mono Sparkomatic Booster Twin boys for a weekend and then we'll talk again.

The first thing i'm doing when I get home is to rip the 8140 out of the dask and do as you said. If this does work I think you then have found a new best friend.

As a matter of fact I owned a Sparkomatic Booster in the early 80's. It was a box set with 6/9'S. I thing I got it at K-Mart when I lived in RI. Sounded horrible....

I'll look for the manual. And let you know if I can bring the 8140 back to life.

Thanks,
Paul

LOL...even with the whining, she does 'bump' pretty good... :)

the lens on my laser gets pretty dirty cause i smoke....the top panel is really easy to take off, dont even need any tools to take it off, maybe a metal finger nail file or something like that, insert it slightly into the 'slits' on the side and twist lifting the cover up...if i recall correctly...

i use to do this on the side of the road... :D

dont forget to moisten the q-tip a bit, then wipe again with another dry one...

good luck in resurrecting it !!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mr. Old School,
Pretty much. The first thing the servo does is try to find the CD. If there is none, or it's upside down, no need to spin the motor. Once the servo IC gets focus lock (Fok signal) it enables the focus servo and spins the disc. After the disc motor soins up the disc servo and tracking servo are turned on. It looks for the eye pattern fter that and loads the TOC (table of contents). At that point, it's ready to start playing.

Disc table height may cause this failure, as will a weak laser diode. If the laser head is worn, the disc motor bearings will be as well. It could be that the disc motor has a short too. Replace both parts in either case.

-Chris

This is a great thread. I worked in the last of the true "hi-end" shops here in town and we finally had to throw in the towel in 1996. We were selling good stuff for the day, PPI, JL, Xtant etc.. but just got beat up when in 95 and 96 we had a Best Buy and Circuit City open up.

I'm still rolling with an old school system:

Nakamichi CD-45z
PPI A600 (ahh the art series)
Xtant High pass(don't remember the model)
JL 8W3's
PPI FRX-??? in-dash crossover
MB Quart 6.5 components w/ competition x-over

This basic system has been moved to its third car at this point!

Still sounds pretty good to my worn out ears.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Welcome abord. Man I really feel your pain. But we cannot stop progress in the wrong direction. It's just like these small town hardware stores where the owner used to knows EVERY customers first name. Now they must close down because of Ho*e Dep*t.

Now it is just big business and make the sale.

Remember the way manufactures used to rate there amps.
25 watts x2 @ 4 Ohms 12.0 Volts. They could actually put out as much as 800 watts RMS stereo @ 14.0 volts! Now a day that is pretty much unthinkable! Now It is 2000 Watts Max Period!

I had the CD-45Z some years ago combined with the MB-7 changer.
Was an amazing deck and changer. Some how the 8140 just appeals more to me because of the simple look and the MB-7 changer was just to big for my trunk.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.