the rear fill ch of the jl 500/5? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2006, 05:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default the rear fill ch of the jl 500/5?

i was reading the manual for this amp and i was wondering, how does that ambience mode work? as in what kind of processing is it? dsp, eq'ing, a digital delay? all the above? what? the reason i ask is that i would like to figure out how to get that to work on my own build. awile back i noticed that my pioneer home receiver has a setup like this. im not sure if its the same thing, but it does add an effect and some depth to the room ambience when i have the 5-ch stereo on. its just a thought and a possible project. thanks for any insight...
Old 12th January 2006, 02:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to sr20dem0n
From the 500/5 manual:

Quote:
L-R Ambience Control:
This switch, located in the "Rear Filter Section", performs a very useful function when operating the amplifier in bi-amp mode. By switching this circuit to the "On" position, all signal common to both the left and right channels is removed from the signal feeding the rear channels of the 500/5. When the circuit is "On", the rear channels will only reproduce the extreme left and right information in the recording, creating a realistic ambient effect from the rear channels without detracting from the imaging of the front speaker system. Experiment with this switch to determine if this feature enhances the sound of your system.
Hope that helps
Old 13th January 2006, 06:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

yes i do know there explanation on how it works, what i want to know is how it is actually done. how do they do the processing? is there some kind of algorithm to it? or is it some custom chip? can it be done on a pc so one could, say, build a processor for rear fill?

Hide this!Advertise here!