ahh power amp is screwy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2006, 02:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ahh power amp is screwy

well recently i just bought some cheap subwoofer stuff. a 300w roadmaster amp and some 12" 'lightning audio' sub. not top of the line stuff but i really dont care. anything better than my trebly stock system. anywhom. today i wired everything up and much to my suprise
it doesnt work. power amp turns on but no sound to subs. i wired the subs correctly and the wires going to the deck. the deck is one of those sony 'xplod' ones btw. i cant recall which exactly. then another problem is with the remote or accesory jack on it . its a headphone type jack and this goes to the amp to automatically turn it on when the car turns on. so when his is plugged in i cant have any control from the deck mostly i guess because it assumes i have one of those control units.same with the actual remote, no control. but its also for an antenna which i dont get. i used a sterio headphone wire if that makes any difference and just used the one wire it needed to the amp. basically everything is wired as the instructions say and now im at a complete loss. i would appreciate any help. thanks
Old 10th January 2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

AFAIK the 'remote turn-on' lead on most head units is just a +12V (or is it +5V? ) power line. Check the amplifier's documentation but I think you should be able to wire up the +12V to the remote lead on the amp and it should make music.
Old 10th January 2006, 05:21 AM   #3
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
I think that you are mistaking the remote control sensor jack in the headunit and the remote turn-on lead on the amplifier. There must be a lead for the only purpose of turning-on amplifiers and other slave equipment in the main connector of the headunit.
Old 10th January 2006, 03:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

no i thought i was too but its the only one. theres no place elsewhere to wire it and even in the manual it says thats it.
Old 10th January 2006, 03:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
There should be an antenna output in the back. That wire is used for power antennas that automatically go out when the radio is on, and back in when off. That should turn on/off your amp.
Old 10th January 2006, 04:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

well actually the amp DOES turn on. thats just it . amp is powered fine , shuts off when car is off and turns on when its on. but then like said i have no control over the unit and theres no sound from the sub. : (
Old 10th January 2006, 04:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
where are you getting the signal for the amp from?
Old 10th January 2006, 04:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

the two coaxial sub outputs from the deck. where it says to hook it up.
Old 10th January 2006, 08:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

ok problem solved. thanks guys
Old 10th January 2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome but... problem solution was...?

Hide this!Advertise here!